News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train won't stop

Started by Gary Allen, October 07, 2020, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Allen

I have an Echo Valley train.  I've added much track and several turnouts, and crossovers.  My current layout easily supports 2 trains simultaneously but I want to be able to park the trains via a turnout.  I have not yet purchased second train.  My problem is that often the train will not come to a complete stop, even with the control knob turned completely CCW.  I've even tried switching the control to another number, turning the knob CW a bit, then re-selecting 3 (assigned to my train).  Didn't help.  The train gradually backs into the Hayes Bumper and the wheels keep turning.  Go forward, won't stop. Go in reverse, won't stop.  I would appreciate any help.

Trainman203

Scientific process of elimination.  Try another engine on your layout, and try your engine on another  layout.

rich1998

Sounds like your DC controller is defective.

Rich

Terry Toenges

Rich - Echo Valley is a Bachmann DCC set that comes with E-Z Command.
Gary - I still don't have mine up and running so I can't play with it and refresh my memory as to what is going with yours. It sounds like maybe the address got switched to a different address somehow and that's why it isn't responding to 3. Did you try all the address buttons? Do you have DCC turnouts and program them with the loco on the track?
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Ok. He did not give near enough info. I will stay out off the discussion.

Rich

WoundedBear

Quote from: rich1998 on October 07, 2020, 08:43:28 PM
Ok. He did not give near enough info. I will stay out off the discussion.

Rich

Rich.....in all fairness the OP did say he had tried switching addresses. Maybe you just need to slow down and read the posts thoroughly before you jump to reply.

Sid

Gary Allen

The train responds to the controller.  It speeds up and slows down, goes in reverse, no problem.  The problem is that when I turn the speed control all the way CCW (counterclockwise), the train just slows way down but doesn't come to a complete stop.  If I reverse direction, it does the same thing in the other direction.  It's not an issue with the train communicating with the controller.  I switched address and moved the controller off of CCW stop position then switched back to address 3 (the train) in hopes that I would gain some additional range on the CCW end of the controller to reach a full stop.  No help.  Sometimes the train will come to a complete stop but most times it will not.  I think the controller is out of adjustment.  I don't have another train.  I don't have another controller.

Gary Allen

Curious if anyone else has run into this problem.

Terry Toenges

Knowing that info, it puzzles me, too. That's beyond my knowledge. I use E-Z Command but I've never had that happen.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

It sounds to me like CV2, which controls the start voltage, is set too high. Unfortunately, the EZ COmmand unit can't reset it for you. You'll need to find somebody who has a full featured DCC system to program this for you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gary Allen

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is CV2?  Control voltage #2?

rich1998

This is from the Bachmann DCC page. Take time to look through the Bachmann site. This is all about the onboard decoder.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/44913_Decoder_IS.pdf

Rich

Gary Allen

Thanks, Rich.  Configuration Variable (CV).  I wasn't even close.

jward

CV2 is used to set the start voltage. It should be set so the locomotive just starts to move when the throttle is cracked. if it's set too high, the train will move even when the throttle is at stop. The fact that you otherwise have full control of the locomotive leads me to believe this is the case.

More common is when the locomotive takes off at full throttle and won't respond to any commands (speed or direction) and this is caused by the decoder (which under default settings will allow you to run a train on dc AS WELL AS dcc) going into analog mode (DC.) It thinks it is running on a DC layout controlled by variable voltage, and sees the constant track power of DCC as a command to run at top speed.

A third possibility is that there is something wrong with the circuitry of the EZ Command itself. The best way to checque this is to run a different locomotive with it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Gary Allen

I bought a second train.  Does the same thing.  With both trains commanded to stop (control all the way CCW), they both slowly step forward.  Change directions and the train slowly moves in reverse.  Does it about 50% of the time.  Other times the train comes to a complete stop.

I opened up the controller.  5 VDC across a potentiometer.  Wiper appears to go all the way to each voltage rail (0 VDC and 5 VDC) in response to knob going all the way CCW and CW.  I'm assuming the wiper is feeding an A/D converter which is probably where the problem lies.  I didn't see any trim pots on the circuit board.  Not how I would have designed it at all.  Would have used a grey-scale optical encoder with no stops and let the software handle everything.  That would avoid the sudden speed changes currently present when switching between trains.

I assume Bachmann's engineers are all on the other side of the pond so not much depth in the way of technical support over here.