News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Help Troubleshooting DCC Conversion

Started by tomelmer84, October 13, 2020, 02:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomelmer84

Hello everyone,

First time poster, so I apologize if I'm placing this in the wrong spot and I'll try to post with as much information as I can.

I have three Bachmann HO scale GP40 locomotives on which I've attempted to install Digitrax DGTDH126D decoders.  I've been met with limited success.  Each locomotive was part of a train set (Union Pacific Pride of Prairie, CN Harvest Express, BNSF Rail Cheif).

The biggest issue I'm having is the Union Pacific GP40 makes a kind of grinding, jumpy noise similar to if the track or wheels are dirty.  I've cleaned the wheels and tracks in question.  It also doesn't respond 100% to the controls...i.e. won't stop when the knob is turned down.  I've also checked the connections between the decoder and locomotive and I don't believe I've made any errors.

My controls are the Bachmann DCC EZ Command and my track is Kato Unitrack.

Thank you in advance!

Tom

rich1998

Welcome.

You are in the correct forum.
Are both drive shafts in place? I do not have the loco.
Unfortunately you cannot make CV changes or reset the decoder with the EZ Command the last I knew.

Did you try the loco on DC before adding the decoders?

Rich

tomelmer84

It appears I may have fixed my problem.  I tried cleaning the wheels again by running them over some paper towel sprayed with rubbing alcohol and that seems to have done the trick.  All three locos are working well this afternoon.

There are still times where the locos are unresponsive and I'm wondering if that's a decoder/hook up issue or a cleaning issue. 

Thanks for your reply!

jonathan

Welcome!

In DCC, clean track is just as important as clean wheels. I've never used Kato track, so I can't speak to rail joiners. Your rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth would be useful for the track. A cleaning block, like a Brite Boy, would be even better.

Soldered track joints really helps keep a consistent current flowing.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

I have heard the paper towel trick works.
Without a better DCC system, you will never ver know if it is really the decoder.
It could be the pickups also but the paper towel trick should take care of it.
Never had pickup issues. I never like the Brite Boy. I do not like scratching my track. Maybe a pink eraser.
Our club used a John Allen freight car in a freight train. We made two. Google it.

Rich