LED front light of 2-6-0 Alco seems defective

Started by treingastNL, October 12, 2020, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treingastNL

As long as I cannot find the correct connection cable between de loc and the tender I use the by me again soldered connector.
But now I heard that the Front light (LED as far as I can see) already gave problems.
I thought I did something wrong with the soldering.

Can somebody tell me if one needs to replace the whole front light part including the housing, or can you open the housing and replace the LED.
This item I also cannot find in the parts list.
As said it is the 2-6-0 Alco, the 2-6-0 Steam Denver & Rio Grande Western #138

Thanks,
Bob

rich1998

Welcomw.

I have Bachmann steamers but not that one. The cable is different. I took a quick look. Take some time to look through a lot of the Bachmann site. Lots of good info many new people miss.
There is a DCC page also.
Look in the Parts page for that loco.
And look in the Information page for a description of the headlight.
My locos have LED's but different.

Rich

Terry Toenges

If I'm not mistaken, the 2-6-0 Steam Denver & Rio Grande Western #138 is an On30 loco. I had one.  
Bachmann has an HO Alco Boston & Maine 2-6-0 that is #1358.
Feel like a Mogul.

treingastNL

Thank you both!

@rich1998
I did a search both with the search field top right (using several search formats) and manually through a lot of train models that look the same.
Several things that pointed to something like a front light, but none was the correct one.
So I suppose this front light is not available as a spare part.
I will look to what you suggested and see if that helps.

If not, I have to try to open the housing of this front light and replace the LED.

@Terry Toenges
The model is was is written on the box and the loc also looks the same as shown on the 2.6.0 ALCO page
Also the loc is H0 type and the On30 loc looks like a N type, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Bob

Terry Toenges

Searching Bachmann's on-line store, I see HO ALCO 2-6-0's numbered 9447, 549, 1910, 3236, and 41. I don't see any for Denver and Rio Grande Western or any numbered 138. I am confused.
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=alco
This is the On30 one I was talking about.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

I'm also finding a D&RGW 2-6-0 in On30 as a replacement shell in the bumblebee scheme.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_76&products_id=8228&zenid=lg0lch2sr9355hnv072cksnsl3

The headlamp on the On30 2-6-0 is not an LED, just a regular 12v GOW bulb.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_76&products_id=4763

Is the fact this thing runs on HO gauge track perhaps the thing that is confusing you?

Sid

treingastNL

Thanks both of you.

I will ask him again, maybe he put it in another box, not in the original one :(
The loc you showed Terry looks much like it, but as he painted it into colors he wanted  :o it is a bit difficult to recognize.

And Sid
Maybe you are right about being it the On30 and that I am confused about running on H0 rails.
But it is defenitly LED, not a normal bulb

I brought it back alreay with all the feedback I had from you and he was going to look for the front light himself.
I told him he could pull out the light housing and eventually cut the wires, first fixing them to the shell.
Solder the new light to the wires and use isolation shrink tubes to isolate everything.

Bob