Headlight not working 38 ton two truck Shay

Started by The Scotsman, October 14, 2020, 06:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Scotsman

Headlight not working on two truck Shay, measured voltage on rear lamp of 1.9V same when checked against front and rear lamp on three truck Shay., yet this one reads over 10 volts. Changed the Voltage regulating transistor on circuit board in the tender no change. Anyone have any ideas or where I can find a replacement circuit board. your help is appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

While I am not aware of any available replacement circuit boards, I might suggest that you try replacing the headlight using a soft white led with a built in resistor.  I have scavenged some in the past using christmas lights sets equipped with them.

I am assuming that the only problem with the circuit board is the headlight output.

Another way would be to add a resistor right at the circuit board output and then add a normal soft white led as the headlight.

Perhaps others will post better ideas, which would be great.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

The Scotsman

Sir you are a genius, that thought never crossed my mind. I will definitely try it out and let you know the results, love to keep this loco running as it should be, its a sweet machine, and fun to watch. Thank you so much.

Loco Bill Canelos

Will await your results! again best of luck.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

The Scotsman

Bill, your idea worked, small led was all that was needed, light works forward motion, off running in reverse. I'm sure glad there are wiser heads around to help the less experienced. TRhank you so much have a great day.