News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kadee coupler problem

Started by jimdavis88, October 16, 2020, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

To solve my uncoupling problem I'm replacing all of my Bachmann couplers with Kadee couplers. As was suggested on this web forum. My problem now is that when I go to tighten down the screw that holds the cover over the couple, it pinches the couple shaft and the coupler can't move side to side, unless I back off the screw. I'm afraid to run that way as the screw may vibrate out. In eyeballing the thickness of each coupler shaft, the Kadee looks to be a bit thicker, thus the reason it pinches when I reassembly it. I thought about filing a bit off of the Kadee shaft, but don't know if that's wise. Any suggestion how to fix this?

PhillipL

Hi Jim,

Which Kadee coupler are you using?  I have had no problems using #158 whisker couplers.

Len

On some coupler pockets, with a rabbet around the edges like this:

You flip the lid over to make more room for metal shank couplers in the pocket. If that doesn't work, you have to file the shank down slightly around the coupler mounting hole. You don't have to take off much, a bit more than the thickness of the paint from both sides.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I have filed Kadee couplers to fit Bachmann pockets. I haven't had any problems with them after I did it. It doesn't take much filing.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Between this coupler pocket/Kadee issue, the non standard EZ track roadbed height, the inconsistent wiring design between steam engines and the non use of NMRA decoder wiring colors...... It wouldn't have taken much to conform with established standards.