News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short passenger cars

Started by Kernow, October 01, 2020, 08:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kernow

Two coaches and a combine on short caboose bases. Scale out to 20 foot six inches between end beams.

WoundedBear

I really like those. Makes me wish I had chosen On30 over HO. Nice job!

Sid

jonathan

I like those. Cool project. Looks perfect for a smallish layout. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Jonathan

J. S. Bach

I, too, like them. I remember seeing a similar one on ebay once that was so short that the trucks were almost touching! It went for far more money than I wanted to pay; something north of $75.00 as I recall.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kernow

Quote from: J. S. Bach on October 01, 2020, 08:00:38 PM
II remember seeing a similar one on ebay once that was so short that the trucks were almost touching!

There were some for sale on Ebay USA recently, they were shortened to seven windows on the sides whereas mine are six windows on the sides. The seller had kept the original trucks but had shortened and rejoined the plastic truss rods which would have limited the swing of the trucks and did look wrong on such short wheelbase cars.

I kept the original archbar trucks that the short caboose had and I had to extend the length of the frame by a small amount.

By using one passenger car and one caboose for each of my coaches it has made them expensive kitbashes but at least there is a good amount of left over parts for other projects.   

These would make an easy bash for Bachmann to mass produce. Both donors are still in production but of course new molds would have to be made for the bodies and roofs.

I have sold this set now, I had a lot of interest but the first to commit to buy got them.

p51

Wow, good work, I can't see the cuts to the roof at all and the ones to the sides are hardly noticeable at all.
I'm apparently not in a majority for being into On30 as I like passenger coaches longer than Bachmann makes, but I must admit I like these shorties you've made.
There were real-life shorty cars, even in standard gauge. The Sierra RR had a few and they still exist:

-Lee

Kernow

Quote from: p51 on October 08, 2020, 01:56:19 PM
Wow, good work, I can't see the cuts to the roof at all and the ones to the sides are hardly noticeable at all.

I use CMK Kits saws to make the cuts. Use the finest blade and drag up and down the grooves between the planks. Micro Mark do the CMK blades.

For filler I use Deluxe Materials Perfect Putty. The Narrow Gauge Modeling Company sell this putty. https://www.narrowgaugemodeling.com/product/ngm-g244/

I put medical tape on the roof, 3M make the stuff but I used a generic brand that came out fine. Once on I sprayed it with rattle can satin black primer. Thet bonds it all well to the plastic and I did try testing it to see if the tape would come off easily, it didn't. There were little stands left that stuck up, rally thin and so hard to cut. I did consider shaving them off but a coat of cheap clearcoat applied with a brush stuck them all down to the roof.