News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Derails at turnout

Started by jimdavis88, October 18, 2020, 06:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdavis88

I have all brand new Bachmann track, turnouts, engines and running stock and I continually have trouble with the loco and especially the cars not following the turnout that is set for a straight thru run. For example, My loco and the first two cars go straight and then the next car decides to go the way of the turn out. Upon inspection the turnout is still  positioned exactly for a straight thru run. Occasionally my diesel loco will try to turn even though the turnout is straight. Can anyone shed some light on how to fix my problem. I have already bent up all the disconnect coupler wires that hang low to the track to make sure they didn't hit anything. Heck, I don't even know what the problem is other than constant derailments. And its inconsistent, sometimes it works great for several runs, and then derails and on various turnouts.

2nd question, my brand-new Bachmann 40' cars are at the proper weight. Would it help, or hinder, to add a bit more weight?

rich1998

First question.
Have you actually used a Kadee coupler height gauge to adjust the couplers?

Rich

jimdavis88

Yes, all couplers are exactly the same.

Gary Allen

I assume the derailing occurs only upon entering the heel (common end) of the turnout.  I've returned a couple of turnouts for the same thing.  Bought on Amazon so no problem.  Another issue I have run into is the weight of the cars, especially the last car of the train.  I had to rearrange my cars so I have a heavier car at the rear.  That took car of that problem.  I've seen lots of write-ups on this website concerning derailing on the turnouts.  It appears to be a common problem with Bachmann turnouts.  Apparently, the switches do not hold tight up against the rails.

jward

This problem is not unique tio Bachmann. It is usually due to poor design and shortcuts taken in the manufacturing process. The "heel" you refer to is actually the switchpoints, which move to direct the train into the proper track. If you look at a real railroad's points, they are tapered and fit into a recess in the stock rail, thus hiding them from the wheel flanges. On commercially made switches, the points do not have this sharp end, and wheel can ride over the blunt end of the points and derail. there is a relatively simple solution. Block the point by inserting a matchstick or other small object between the point and stock rail, then gently file along the side of the point where the wheel flanges run until you get a nice sharp end.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jimdavis88

Quentin

Ok, since this is about turnouts and trains derailing at them, I'm gonna ask a question.

I have an older set, on older Bachmann track (the track they had before E-Z Track, with pre-attached roadbed). The loco is the F7 I have talked about that used to have running problems (the Chessie System loco that I talked about in the General Discussion Board), and usually pulles 11 boxcars on it. There is this one right turnout that the loco rolls smoothly over, but from the 3rd car back, everything derailed. I have a feeling that the turnout is a bit too old...

Any suggestions? Right now I have to use a newer E-Z Track turnout on the layout because I have people constantly coming to see that layout; it's the biggest in my town (somehow). For the moment, the quick fix works, but not for long...

Jim, to answer your question about the 40' cars,
If you want to add more weight, it can make it more realistic (in my opinion, others might disagree), but it would also lower the number of cars you can throw behind the loco. I have a lot of older models that came with no ballast,which made them too light(and they constantly kept flying off the track on corners. The cars kept falling off of a bridge on my layout, and when one finally cracked I decided to ballast them. I added small strips of lead to the inside of the car using sticky strips (I don't know the proper name). They now work like a charm.

-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

rbturner

Have you checked to be sure that the problem car has all its wheel sets in gauge?
Acts 2:38

Quentin

They all are. I constantly clean my consists and locos, so I've practically memorized what's on what. This consist in particular is all in gauge, it's just that one turnout and that one car.

-Quentin
We're...
A...

rbturner

OK Quentin,  you had good advice already and I got to wondering if some basic problem could have been overlooked.

Any chance one of the trucks is binding or a bit too tight?
Acts 2:38

Quentin

That could happen. One of my consists kept derailing, and all that was wrong was a truck kept constantly binding. You could try checking the trucks for binding and/or loosening the screws that hold the trucks on, if they're not already loose enough.

-Quentin
We're...
A...