News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Applying Frog Snot to HO 4-4-0 drive wheels

Started by ICEman, October 21, 2020, 09:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICEman

I have a Bachmann NCRR 4-4-0,  wheels spinning on up grade. It was suggested to apply Frog Snot to drive wheels.
It said "to put the loco in a cradle, apply power to the pickup wheels & apply the snot to the drive wheels". Which wheels are the pickup wheels & which are the drive wheels ?  I have been unable to locate a diagram of the loco.

jonathan

I would not recommend putting "bullfrog snot" on the drivewheels of a 4-4-0.  Doesn't matter if you have the old or modern 4-4-0. 

There are many reasons why I would not use the snot on a 4-4-0. To be brief:  there are a limited amount of current pick-up wheels.  Bullfrog snot would only make it worse.  You may gain traction, but you will also gain a loco that stops and stutters all over your layout.

I have this product, and have used it. I works fine, but only on locos that can afford to lose a wheel that picks up current.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

If i'm not mistaken you can already pull 7 cars up a 4% grade. That's better than most locomotives its size. What more do you want? Are you willing to sacrifice the reliability of the locomotive just so it "might" pull a couple more cars?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

I would take their advice. 1 or 2 years ago, I applied Frog Snot to a similar locomotive, and it absolutely killed it. Right now, it is sitting on a shelf, even after trying to fix it. Still dead today.

Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS