News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Height of each pier in 14 and 18 piece sets

Started by Dr TaNaKa, October 22, 2020, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr TaNaKa

Could someone post the height of each pier in graduated pier sets from Bachmann please?

Quentin

Uh...

All I can say is that the amount of clearance under the largest pier when measured with the largest HO rolling stock and/or loco is 3.875 inches on the 18 piece one, and on the 14 piece one it is also 3.875 inches, but the grade is a tad bit steeper to accommodate. Maybe someone else has the exact answer to your question.

-Quentin
We're...
A...
GREAT BIG ROLLIN RAILROAD, one that EVERYBODY KNOWS

jward

3 7/8" under the tall pier. 3 1/8" under the shorter one, This is all the info Bachmann gives on their web site.

Dividing the height by the number of piers gives the following assumed height differential between the individual piers:
0.431" for the 18 pier set.
0.446" (7/16") for the 14 pier set.

Note the difference. I find it hard to believe that Bachmann engineered two completely different pier sets. I assume that the 18 piece set is simply the 14 piece set with two pairs of taller piers (8 & 9)

We know the height of piers 7 and 9 already. Assuming the height differential is distributed evenly across the first 7 piers,
Pier 1... 7/16"
Pier 2... 7/8"
Pier 3... 1 5/16"
Pier 4... 1 3/4"
Pier 5... 2 3/16"
Pier 6... 2 5/8"
Pier 7... 3 1/8"

Assuming the difference is split between 7 and 9,

Pier 8... 3 1/2"
Pier 9... 3 7/8"

Please note that these are estimated values only.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

jward,

did you actually measure all of those, or did you just do some math to figure it out? I am keeping these measurements for later, just wanted to know how you found them.

-Quentin
We're...
A...

jward

Estimated values based upon number of piers and the total height of the tallest piers. These are not like the Atlas pier set where every pier was designed in 1/4" increments.

It should also be noted that using the Bachmann pier set under the joints between full track sections will result in a grade of about 5.6% as opposed to the 2.7% of the Atlas pier set.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Quentin

We're...
A...

Dr TaNaKa

Thank you JWard.  Using Anyrail gives varying clearances depending upon track pieces used. Needed this info for optional items I want to use with these piers.