News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Powering my large scale bachmann train

Started by Up_ON_B, December 27, 2007, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up_ON_B

I just purchased for my son a large scale big hauler train set.  It didn't work out of the package.  Both the 110VAC to 16 volt dc adapters were no good,  IT came with two kind of junky looking speed control boxes.  One was for use with the locomotive, and one was for use with the street car.

I was able to get the set up and running with an adjustable 110VAC to DC plug in adapter.  Really nice train, from what I have seen for parts I have discovered that since I also like the train quite well that my son and I now have a somewhat expensive hobby.

My question is when I toss out the junky controllers, what should I get to power the train?  I see that in front of the train behind the swing out cover above the smoke generator switch that there is a polarity switch.  Not sure what this does, but assume that it has to do with a different controller.

I was just wondering if some of you folks that really know what you are doing could give me some direction and offer a couple of suggestions for a better option for powering the new locomotive.  Are some of these power units adjustable so that I can run the street car and the locomotive on the same controller?  What about future bachmann large scale locomotives?

Thanks
Jonathan

the Bach-man

Dear Jonathan,
If you have all your connections tight and correct the included power packs should work. If not, we will replace them. They are adequate for the small amount of track included, but for larger layouts there are many power supplies advertised in magazines like Garden Railways.
I have an LGB Jumbo for my outdoor railroad.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

calenelson

Welcome in!

I can't help too much with track powered options, but I use Batteries and RC to power and operate my Bachmann Trains! 

cale

Up_ON_B

Thanks for the replies.  I intend to expand the trainset and add a couple of more locomotives.

The standard out of the box speed controllers that came with the trainset are different.  I assume that since they both plug into a 16 volt DC adapter they would work the same, but the package warned to use one controller, the light grey one with the street car, and the dark grey one with the locomotive.  Only the dark grey one works and seems to power both the engine and the locomotive fine.
Why the different controllers?
It seems adequate to do the existing job, but what I really want to do is get a nicer speed control box, or RC equpiment, or what is the other option DCC?.

Also in response to RC and Batteries.  I have done a bit of reading, nothing that would enable me to preform the alterations myself, but I'm sure that information is around IF I choose that route.

I would ask how much does it cost you to set up for RC equipment, and how much it costs to alter each engine?

The street car and engine both appear to be 16VDC is this standard fore most large scale locomotives?

What of the switch on the train above the smoke switch.  I read it is supposed to be to set the train for some standard setting.

IS there a good source of information somewhere for learning about these things?

Thanks
Jonathan

Nathan

If you can get to a local hobby shop there are several good book on basic control of model trains that you can start with.  They should also have Garden Railways magazine, and help you with some good answers.

Up_ON_B

Thanks for all the info.  Is that Garden railways magazine affilliated with gardentrains.org?  I got an ad in the paperwork that came with the Big Hauler for that URL  I will check them out and see what I can learn.

I have been reading the paperwork that came with the train again, and lots of internet information trying to decide on what I need for a controller.  I am thinking about going with a better  cab controlled, rail powered setup.  At this point it seems like extra funds should go toward better track and another locomotive.

I am looking for something that can handle two or three tracks.  The problem is that I see that both controllers that came in the package were supplied by 110VAC to 16VDC adapters through the regular out of the box speed controller and direction switch.  But in the paperwork I see that Bachmann suggests to not operate the train above 16 volts while the smoke switch is turned on.

This suggests to me that I could leave the smoke switch off, and or eliminate the smoker, and operate the train above 16VDC with no problem.  I also come across transformers that operate at voltage quite a lot higher than that.

any help would be appreciated.
Jonathan

OH also as an EDIT:

The direction switch located above the smoke generator switch is confusing to me as well.  The Big Hauler paperwork supplied with the train indicates that the polarity switch allows for use with NMRA (US) or NEM (europe) standards.  IT also indicates some trains may have a three position switch were you can kill track power to the locomotive.

Now this description from the paperwork is different from what the train says.  The train has a switch located above the smoke switch labelled "DIRECTION" with switch positions "NMRA Standard" and "Large Scale"  IT is currently set on LARGE SCALE as it was set out of the box.  IT is being operated on Standard 110VAC US household current.

IS THIS WRONG?  I don't dare switch it without knowing what it does.  Is "LARGE SCALE" the same as the NEM setting?  What is this for?

calenelson

I spent about $125 on my first conversion utilizing a trail car...RCS Evo setup...

...since then, I have installed the RCS Elite, a Sierra Soundtraxx, and control with the RX-24 with the MAHA charger and Batteries for around $550+/-. In my Annie.

So it stretches from one end to the next.  try out rcs-rc.com there Tony has posted some installs online for you to view...I have received Stellar service from the RCS folks, and recommend them highly...but you should investigate all routes and make a decision based on your needs and wants.

let me know if I can help!

here is a link to the install with the EVO and Trail Car
http://mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42328&SearchTerms=trail,car

cale

glennk28

I would check that direction switch in the smokebox.  All the way to one side or the other. " NEM" or "LS"  is what it should be--"NMRA" will go the opposite way relative to the direction switch to the track.  This is because when LGB started making trains, they went backwards to the standard the NMRA has adopted for US trains. This is "positive on right hnad rail makes train go forward"  Most other manufacturers followed along.  If all else fails, check with local hobby shop.  MRC makes a line of good power supplies, including some with two controls.  gj

Up_ON_B

Hi GlennK28

So the train would operate fine with the switch in either setting?

Thanks for the lead to MRC power supplies,  I will check them out.