DCC EZ Command Module Intermittent Operation

Started by ggerue, October 29, 2020, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggerue

Greetings;

Intermittently my controller will default to position one when operating locomotives in positions 2-7.

Only happens when locomotive enters a switch. Not specific to a particular switch.

Suggestions?

Gerald GeRue

Peter1952

I haven't used the EZ Command for a number of years, but I think it reverts to position 1 after a short. Is it only happening with locomotives with a long wheelbase, or with only 1 locomotive.

ggerue

More than one locomotive, but am slowly isolating switches with this issue. It appears to be a short, but only lasts a moment and if module is reset to desired slot, operation resumes. Found one locomotive where the hose part of coupler was catching the frog and creating a short.
Appears to perhaps be a design problem on my part and I will hopefully correct as time passes.

rich1998

Do you have a coupler height gauge? That was just discussed in a nearby discussion.

Rich

rich1998

Duplicate

Rich

rich1998

Great solution. It can solve some issues.

Rich

Len

The trip pin "hose" hanging low is common for all knuckle coupler brands. That's why, as others have mentioned, having a coupler height gauge like the Kadee #205 or #206 is one of the basics for the tool collection. The shelf below the coupler in the pic is for checking trip pin height. If it's off, a pair or roundnose or needlenose pliers makes adjustment easy.

I prefer the insulated #206 because you don't have to worry about shorting anything out if the power is on.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.