decoder for N scale diesel #814

Started by Gilsnorthernrr, October 31, 2020, 05:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilsnorthernrr

I am looking to put a decoder in a Bachmann diesel #  814. first , this came without a box so would You identify what it is , please . Then , do You suggest a decoder that fits ,thank You.

rich1998

Welcome.

This should probably be in the N Scale forum but whatever.

Is it DCC ready? If not, it might require soldering and isolating the motor
I looked in the Bachmann diagram section and see I think  both versions. DC And DCC ready.
I do know Digitrax has N scale decoders. I have used some.
There might be board type decoders. No idea.

Rich

rich1998

I just looked at the parts page. If it is DCC ready, there will be a circuit board you can solder a decoder to like a Digitrax DZ126. Solder the leads.
Don't worry about what looks like two green resistors labeled L1 and L2. They are Ferrite inductors. No resistance.

Rich

jward

diesel 814 is a useless description of your locomotive. It doesn't tell us anything. What railroad is it painted for? That would help alot more. Many railroads had #814, and they were various types depending on the railroad.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

It's not useless if you know how to use Google and type in "Bachmann diesel 814 N" and you discover that it's a BNSF GE Dash 8-40. You know it's Bachmann. You know it's a diesel. You know it's N scale. You know the number is 814. How many different types of 814's do you think Bachmann produces?
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

That is what I did but I now use DuckDuckGo to search, more secure than Google. Look it up. On Wikipedia.

Rich

Terry Toenges

I've used DuckDuckGo a couple of times. I haven't figured how to do an advanced search with it. That's why I still use Google.
Feel like a Mogul.