News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Thunder Chief Sound Stopped Working

Started by packetman, November 05, 2020, 03:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packetman

I've had this Thunder Chief set for a while.  The other nice the sound stopped working.  Using the EZ Commander.  The locomotive functions fine.  I've even programmed it to a different address which worked perfectly but for the live of m I can't figure out how I've disabled the sound.

Any information will help.

Trainman203

packetman

OK dumb question.  If the train is on 3 and running do I just push the function button and then 8 or do I hold down the function button and press 8?

Gary Allen

On my DCC controller, I momentarily press the Function button to toggle the active system in and out of function mode.  I'm new so I'm probably using improper terminology here.  The light adjacent to the active system (e.g. 3 for train, 9 for turnouts and crossovers) will blink if in function mode and will remain lit if not in function mode.  I don't ever hold down the Function button while pressing a second button.  I must be out of function mode in order to switch from one system to another.

packetman

OK that is what I thought.

If I do a function 8 on my controller nothing happens as far as sound goes.

Is there a way to completely reset either the DCC controller of the train it self it a strange combo of buttons had been pushed?

rich1998

Nothing in the manual about reset for the controller.
The controller will not reset decoders. That is in the manual.
The use of the Function button is in the manual.

Rich

packetman

The loco says that if I'm using the Bachmann engine with the EZ Controller there is nothing to reset since the controller cannot send anything to the engine.  Which is funny because how can that work with programming the DCC to a different control number.  Anyway, I think I may just take it to a local hobby store and see if they can reset it.  I'm really stumped.

Everything works but sound.

Gary Allen

Let's make sure you're using the controller properly.  Assuming your train is address 3:

1) Select 3 on the controller, 3 lights up solid
2) Momentarily press the function button, 3 blinks
3) Momentarily press the 8 button, this should toggle the sound (either on or off), no change to the controller

packetman

This is the procedure I have used in the past to turn if off and on.  I just walked through that procedure to confirm and it does not turn the sound on anymore.  The train however will move forwards and backwards.  I can also turn the headlight off and on using the 10 button while in the Function mode.

Gary Allen

I would guess the problem is inside the tender.  The serial command decoder works so it must be either the audio synthesizer, amplifier, or speaker.