DCC walk around companion controller

Started by Victor Bailey, November 10, 2020, 11:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Bailey

I have a E-Z command controller, I have been looking for a walk around companion controller unable to fine one.  Is there a substitute for the walk round companion?

rich1998

Not that I am aware of. A couple others have inquired recently.

Rich

Ralph S

Update:  as of 5/25/2021 I found a Walk-around Controller Model no. 44907 on E-bay and it sold for $275.00.   So I'd expect that Bachmann or someone is trying to corner the market on their discontinued Walkaround.

jward

You could get an entire full=featured DCC system plus an extra controller for that.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ralph S

Oh!  I didn't buy it.   Some other uninformed person did.  I was able to get one earlier for $48.00, back in April.  Even that might have been too much.   But it works for me.

Ralph S

Okay, Hi all.   I've been working on my electrical setup and came across the fact that the E-Z Command Connector Panel has two Wi-Fi type connectors on the rear of the panel.  I went to Bachmann's manuals webpage and could not find the instruction manual for Model no 36-515 E-Z Command Connector Panel.  Does anyone know how I can get a copy of this instruction manual?  I'm pretty sure it should be a simple instruction manual.  I just want to make sure/verify that the rear connectors are for either the power controller or additional connections to support additional walk-arounds. 

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Ralph S

Interesting, but it does not answer my basic question of what the 2 additional bus connectors at the rear of the panel are for.  

The two front panel connectors are- one for the controller and the other for the walk-around.  The two on the rear I haven't been able to confirm whether they are for additional walk-arounds or for other controllers.  I'd test them but all I have is one controller and one walk around.  When I eventually purchase another walk-around (if they ever get cheap enough) or additional controller then I could test those two rear connections.

By the way,  I know I know, It would be better served to move to the more advanced DCC controllers.  But I like to keep my mind occupied solving problems others have given up on. (see my other posts for reference)

UPDATE:  Terry, thanks.  Your reply had me browsing other messages on this board, and I found what I was looking for.  This url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWy-LySuik .    To view Part 3 Bachmann video about Walk Around Companion Connector Panel.   

Next time, I'll search this site more closely for there are answers to questions that someone, somewhere has already asked.  I just need to look more closely.

Terry Toenges

I'm glad you found what you were looking for.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

an aside. . .
I was just about to post the link in the following when I saw Ralph S update.

Click Here this begins a Bachmann video at the relevant point saving time watching needless info to answer question and provides key tech info to avoid a gotcha.

Hunt

Trivia

After Bachmann for good reasons (no, I will not list them as information was provided to me off the record) discontinued the E-Z Command Walkaround Companion they announced the E-Z Command Smart Interface. It was never produced.

Click Here for E-Z Command Smart Interface announcement.

Ralph S

Wow!  I must admit, Bachmann is still sticking to their main theme "First time, Beginner's, Kids under a certain age, as the company's focus.   The EZ companion smart interface would ...in my opinion, move the company from that beginning point into the intermediate users.   

Again I believe Bachmann is missing a profit making area.  Why, because every kid that I know of has a smart phone or better.  I'm the obsolete one... still using a flip phone and the E-Z command ;)

Thanks for sharing.   

Terry Toenges

I have a flip phone and E-Z Command. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Quote from: Ralph S on June 26, 2021, 02:44:19 PM
Wow!  I must admit, Bachmann is still sticking to their main theme "First time, Beginner's, Kids under a certain age, as the company's focus.   The EZ companion smart interface would ...in my opinion, move the company from that beginning point into the intermediate users.   

Again I believe Bachmann is missing a profit making area.  Why, because every kid that I know of has a smart phone or better.  I'm the obsolete one... still using a flip phone and the E-Z command ;)

Thanks for sharing.   

Ralph,

Bachmann has tried the smartphone area in a broader way with E-Z APP product line.
Click Here It has not been what they had hope it would be.

Ralph S

Mr. Hunt  Did I miss Something?   From the video you provided, I don't know how Bachmann got from the standard controller to the smartphone's app.    From what I see, you have to have an EZ app equipped engine.    Am I wrong?   

They missed a very important issue.  Us old guys will eventually give up our model trains to our kids and grandkids and great grandkids.  If you have to buy a new engine in order to get the EZ app to work, the cost is prohibitive to the us old timers.  The kids (grand kids) parents aren't going to spend additional money for an old train set.  Let alone the fact (my opinion) that a majority of kids today aren't into model trains where you have to have a smart train engine, a phone let alone setting the train up and having extra issues with connectivity.
The prices for DCC engines is not at the level of a train car.  For example, I have 5 DCC engines, 4 DC engines that work fine, but my kids aren't going to buy a new EZ app engine, if they can just play on their playstation or Nintendo.  Sorry , got off on a tangent.

I can see why it isn't going over big.    That E-Z Command Smart Interface that they never produced would have eliminated buying new engines. 
Please tell me that I missed something, so I can delete this rant, not at the engineers who designed it, but the marketing management's decision to not at least try a sample first.   Ford lost when they stopped making the Bronco, now they're bringing it back, after Jeep kept making big profits.

Again thanks for sharing.  And I will stop acting like an old geezer ranting about marketing folks not listening to the engineers.