Repairs on older equipment (1980's manufacture)

Started by sort187, November 15, 2020, 04:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sort187

Good morning. I inherited from my grandfather a couple of  Norfolk and Western Class J locomotives that came in the yellow collectors edition boxes. I believe they were manufactured in the early 80's. I put them on my test track, only to have the light come on, but no movement. I don't really want to chance opening them up, as I am mechanically uninclined when it comes to steam locomotives. My question is would it be worth sending them into Bachmann to possibly get a diagnosis and repair, or are they just too old and obsolete? I'd like to see them running for my grandfather's sake, but if not, they'd be wall displays. Thanks in advance.
Detroit and Mackinac FOREVER!

rich1998

Welcome.

Right now I am guessing it is a pancake motor in it and the pickups were not very good. Not a good motor.
Look at the Parts, Service and Information page. There is a phone number and info page for replacements.
Bachmann replaced a loco for me with a check.
Nice to sign your name at the end of your message. I learned that in grammar school.

Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

Wall displays .  Not only are the motors c**p, but the lubricants on the gears are likely dried out and would necessitate opening up the engine for service. 

The newer ones are available at discount houses at good prices. 

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-steam-locomotives-2/bachmann-53202-class-j-4-8-4-w-sound-dcc-norfolk-western-613/

By the time you ship the old one around you'd be well into what you could get a mechanically much better one for, with sound to boot.  Although you'd have to buy an EZ command unit to run it.  You'd never be sorry though.  Butter smooth operation with sound too!  Model railroading is fun!

rich1998

If you go DCC, there are better DCC controllers than the EZ Command. It will run a DCC loco but not program the CV's or reset a faulty decoder which may users have found out. A decoder loco can run on DC but not sure you will like it.

If all you want is a DC loco, give Bachmann a call.

Rich

Terry Toenges

It sounds like they have the sentimental value to him because they were Grandpa's. New ones wouldn't be the same ones that Grandpa had.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Yes. Forgot about that. Put it on the shelf I guess.

Rich

Trainman203

Can understand.  I'd probably do that too. I have my dad's railroad cap.  I'll never wash it.  It has the dust and soot of too many steam engines in it.

But.  I don't want grandpa's phone or TV.

sort187

Quote from: rich1998 on November 15, 2020, 11:02:26 AM

Nice to sign your name at the end of your message. I learned that in grammar school.

My handle is right there in the upper left hand corner next to my avatar. I asked a question looking for information, not to be chastised over an opinion about grammar school "etiquette". But thanks for the input. When I write a letter, I'll be sure to sign my name...... sincerely.

sort187

Quote from: Trainman203 on November 15, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
Wall displays .  Not only are the motors c**p, but the lubricants on the gears are likely dried out and would necessitate opening up the engine for service. 

The newer ones are available at discount houses at good prices. 

https://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-steam-locomotives-2/bachmann-53202-class-j-4-8-4-w-sound-dcc-norfolk-western-613/

By the time you ship the old one around you'd be well into what you could get a mechanically much better one for, with sound to boot.  Although you'd have to buy an EZ command unit to run it.  You'd never be sorry though.  Butter smooth operation with sound too!  Model railroading is fun!

Yeah, the motors are crap. I can agree with that. If repairs aren't really an option, I guess I wouldn't feel so bad if I could buy JUST an updated chassis w/out the shell. At least that way I could USE them and still say with some honesty that they (in part) belonged to my grandfather.

Thank you.

rich1998

You might find a used 4-8-4 Bachmann loco BUT will the shell  match the mounting screws of the mechanism?
Look in the Information page at the different 4-8-4 diagrams.

Below is a link I found to a 1990 J Class Bachmann with pancake motor. Looks like a rubber tire on a wheel. A smoke unit also.

https://hoseeker.org/assemblyexplosionbachmann/bachmann484classjdiagram1990.jpg

Rich

RDC1

Quote from: sort187 on November 15, 2020, 04:04:47 AM
Good morning. I inherited from my grandfather a couple of  Norfolk and Western Class J locomotives that came in the yellow collectors edition boxes. I believe they were manufactured in the early 80's. I put them on my test track, only to have the light come on, but no movement. I don't really want to chance opening them up, as I am mechanically uninclined when it comes to steam locomotives. My question is would it be worth sending them into Bachmann to possibly get a diagnosis and repair, or are they just too old and obsolete? I'd like to see them running for my grandfather's sake, but if not, they'd be wall displays. Thanks in advance.

Good evening Mr. Sort187, c'mon over to TD; I have your registration approved. We'll help you get it running, one way or another.

TK Dave AKA RDC1
My Tyco Power Torque can beat up your train!

Founder - http://www.tycodepot.com

rich1998

I am a Veteran and I see from the site he is a Veteran. It should work.
Give it a try.

Rich

Trainman203

Must be a deleted post, I'm missing a beat somewhere