News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

American 4-4-0 (New tooling) pulling power

Started by pz324, November 21, 2020, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz324

Hi everyone - can anyone tell me approximately how many of the old time passenger cars these engines should pull?  I currently have 4 passenger cars and was thinking of expanding to 6, but not sure if this is too many cars.....thanks!

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

In this one, I had added some weight in the cab and in the stack but it is still quite a bit of weight that it's pulling.
https://youtu.be/n9K6XOcslSc
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Pulling power varies deoending on grades. Are you running yours on the level? If not, how steep is your steepest grade?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pz324

Thank you Terry, and Jeff - layout is completely flat so no grades to contend with

jward

Terry  runs his in the level, so his experience is accurate. I stay away from them, as they wouldn't do well on my 4% grades. Even the B&O learned quickly (pre civil war) that they needed something much stronger for the mountains, thus the various early incarnations of 0-8-0 like  Winans Camels that were unique to the b&o. I do have a few Bachmann 0-6-0s that are good for about 3 cars each on the grades, and an Alco 2-6-0 that does a little, but not much, better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I have the Alco. I was disappointed in it out of the box so I added weight to it also to get it pull better.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just got my train board cleared to start setting up for Christmas. I have the track in place. I have two 4-4-0's - One with extra weight and one without. I'll experiment with some passenger cars in the next few days to see the difference in what they will pull and how many cars.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I did my 4-4-0 experiment today. I have the video saving now and then I have to load it to Youtube so that will take a while. I have one curved spot on my layout that gives me trouble because everything slows down there. The trains will go through the rest of it ok. I say this because, if it wasn't for the one spot, I could have pulled more passenger cars. Because of that spot, I was only able to do 8 passenger cars with the stock 4-4-0. With my weighted 4-4-0, I was only able to do 13 passenger cars because it stalled on that one spot.
I'll have the video link when it's loaded. I have two other track running under the tunnel there so I might see if they do the same thing with so many cars.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's the video that shows the two 4-4-0's and the difference in pulling power.
https://youtu.be/YyMLg0w4Z7Y
Feel like a Mogul.