News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts Sources for Bachmann 2-8-0s?

Started by Ratchet, November 22, 2020, 12:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchet

Hello, everyone. Is there a good aftermarket source for Bachmann drive parts?  I picked up an old Spectrum 2-8-0 (DC) on eBay that runs great, but a previous owner had dropped it and one of the rear drive wheels has a bent wheel center/ hub. I've been watching Bachmann's parts website since March for the wheel sets to come back in stock, but they haven't been restocked yet. I've tried eBay, but haven't found any listings.

On a similar note, I also have an old Plus Series 2-8-0 that has what appears to be one or two bent wheels. These wheels wobble a fair amount when running; the locomotive waddles pretty strongly down the track. I don't know if I can try to straighten them, but I'd like to find a replacement known-good wheel set if any are available. I've tried eBay for these too, but have only found the phase 2 style (round stubs and white plastic axles, as opposed to the Plus Series square axle centers).  I'm sure this one is a long shot, but I thought this was the place to ask.

Ratchet

Thank you for your response. I checked Shapeways, but they only have the plastic axles. No metal wheel sets.

They're a great source for the axles, though—I have four of the old 2-8-0's running Shapeways axles now (two 1st gens, 2 Plus Series). 

rich1998

Like I said, just a guess. No idea if they could make an insert for a metal wheel. Too great a challenge, no doubt.
Others have used the axle parts.

Rich