2-6-0 funs great in reverse hardly at forward

Started by Stoof, November 24, 2020, 01:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoof

I am brand new to this board so I apologize for my inexperience. A quick search has not given me any answers.
I have On30 Santa's express that I only set up for Christmas. I have been slowly having issues over past years with running, but this year is the worst.
The locomotive will run fine in reverse, but in forward it continually stalls out and runs maybe at 50% with the controller at 100.
I have seen a bit of info on gear issues but not sure if that is what I am looking at. The train is probably about 8 years old.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Terry Toenges

Since you are using it for Christmas, are you using it around the cotton snow stuff? If so, have you checked the wheels to see if there are cotton threads that got wrapped around the drive gear anywhere? That happened to me before.
Feel like a Mogul.

Stoof

Thanks Terry.
Yes I use the snow and it has been an issue.
I have used tweezers etc to remove those threads.
It just runs better in reverse for some reason.
I have found that it is bearable with less cars so I'll run with that for now.

p51

Quote from: Stoof on November 24, 2020, 02:44:16 PM
Thanks Terry.
Yes I use the snow and it has been an issue.
I have used tweezers etc to remove those threads.
It just runs better in reverse for some reason.
I have found that it is bearable with less cars so I'll run with that for now.
Be very careful here. I took one of these apart once and saw how the gearing works. You probably have something wedged into the gears that won't go any further in the forward direction and it's pushed to the end (though not off) the gears going the other way.
It sounds like you really have something wedged in there, and just leaving it in there, well, nothing good can come from that...
-Lee