News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Alco 2-6-0, removing boiler shell?

Started by wjstix, November 28, 2020, 04:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wjstix

Hi, I need to take the body shell off this engine. I found the two screws under the cab OK, but there is apparently one or more other screws holding the body on that I can't find. I've been looking at the 'exploded view' diagram for a while, but if it's there I can't see it. Anyone know what I'm missing? Thanks.

rich1998

Usually under the smoke stack. Front of loco. Swing the front truck away a little.
I do not have that loco but some other Bachmann steamers.

Rich

jonathan

Looking at the bottom of the diagram, there is a long screw that seems to be the one that hold the front of the boiler. It may be the same screw that holds the front truck. That would make sense for a small loco.

Admittedly, I don't own this loco.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

I am thinking maybe the same thing. With these diagrams, there is guess work some times. Just pay attention to all the parts.

Rich

wjstix

Thanks for the replies. I took the front pony truck off, that screw isn't holding it in place. I removed the three small screws holding the bottom part of the chassis - the part keeping the drivers in place - and there's nothing under there either.  I know I had one engine long ago (old Life-Like 2-8-8-2) where you had to remove one of the domes, maybe this one does that too?

rich1998

I think I see a screw in the diagram that would come through a dome into the right side of the frame. Take a look.

Rich.

Len

Amplifying on what Rich said, in the exploded diagram it looks like the top of the sand dome directly behind the smoke stack lifts off. The screw should be inside the dome.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

wjstix

Yup, that's where it was hiding - under the dome next to the stack. Once I got that one (and the two under the cab) out, the body came right off.

Thanks to all!