Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Stalls

Started by Taz54904, November 30, 2020, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taz54904

Hi,
First time post on this forum!
I am a new Bachmann Train owner, so forgive me if some of my terminology isn't accurate. ;) 
I purchased the Bachmann Trains - Jingle Bell Express Ready To Run Electric Train Set - HO Scale in November 2019.  It ran great last year.  Last week we set it up again and now it stutters (at higher speeds) and stalls at lower speeds - in 2 locations on the track.  I have cleaned the rails with 70% IPA.  All of the rail/track connectors are good.  I can run just the engine (no cars) and the above problems happen as well as when I have the other cars connected.  The odd thing is one of the places that the engine stalls/stutters is the section of track next to the terminal/rerailer so I wouldn't think that it was a voltage drop - and it stalls right in the middle of that section.
Russ Handy

jonathan

That set has the 0-6-0 loco. There is a round bump on the bottom of the loco, covering the main gear. It has a tendency to rub on retailer track and RR crossing track. I file just a tiny, tiny amount of material off that bump, like 1/64".

Also, a good idea to clean the drive wheels, like the track. The drive wheels are the only thing getting current to the motor.

Regards,

Jonathan

Taz54904

Thank you for the information!
I forgot to mention that I did clean the drive wheels when I cleaned the tracks.  I did clean them both again this morning and filed down that bump on the bottom of the locomotive.
It does run better now but there are a couple of spots where it stalls and if I put lightly down on the loco it starts to move forward again.
Russ Handy

jonathan

Sounds like you still have a small contact issue.  On some of the newer versions of the 0-6-0, there are phosphor bronze pick up brushes contacting the backs of the wheels.  If you have these, you could have some fuzzy build up between the brushes and the wheels.  Does this set run on the floor at Christmas?  Crud build up could be a real possibility.  Not to hard to pick out with a needle or hairpin.

Regards,

Jonathan

Taz54904

Thanks again Jonathan.
It doesn't run on the floor but it is on some felt sheets to look like snow.  I can't attach a small JPG so I can't show you the setup.
I'll check that tonight.
Russ Handy

rich1998

Quote from: Taz54904 on December 01, 2020, 02:23:01 PM
Thanks again Jonathan.
It doesn't run on the floor but it is on some felt sheets to look like snow.  I can't attach a small JPG so I can't show you the setup.
I'll check that tonight.

You need a photo hosting site to post a JPG, photo.

Rich

Taz54904

Still no luck.  I've cleaned and filed everything as stated in this thread. LOL
Russ Handy

Trainman203

Maybe there's some crud down in the retailer flangeway, raising up an engine wheel enough to break contact.

Taz54904

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Taz54904/p/a414a260-32d8-4595-82c4-327b63860e3d

I was wondering if there may be some corrosion on the drive wheels and how to clean them?

Russ Handy

Taz54904

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 02, 2020, 11:33:54 PM
Maybe there's some crud down in the retailer flangeway, raising up an engine wheel enough to break contact.

No flangeway, as this is an oval setup.  (I hope my terms are correct.)

The problems occur in the same locations, no matter which direction the train is running (clockwise or counter-clockwise) or if it's running forward or backward.
Russ Handy

Taz54904

Here's a couple of videos that I uploaded to help show what my loco is (and is not) doing. LOL

Short video
https://youtu.be/RREO0UQUxqE

Long video
https://youtu.be/r2sgskqg1CY
Russ Handy

jonathan

Taz,

I watched both your videos.  Your locomotive is just fine.  In my opinion, your track is the problem. 

You have steel track, not nickel silver.  This type of track is harder to keep clean.  Steel track corrodes easily and requires regular cleaning for smooth operations.  The corrosion is not electrically conductive.

You'll probably have to be a bit more aggressive with cleaning the track.  Rubbing alcohol is probably not strong enough for cleaning.

Some folks (like me) use a Brite-Boy track cleaner.  It looks like a pink pencil eraser, though made of different stuff.  I usually follow that up with wiping the railheads with an old t-shirt.  Occasionally I like to put a drop or two of Conductalube (light conductive oil) on the railheads and let the locomotive push the oil around the track.

Some do not like the Brite-Boy because of the chance of scratching the railheads.  I haven't noticed that problem.  Admittedly, I don't look that close for scratches.

I have also used "Goo Gone".  I find that works very, very well.  Smells good, to.  :)  Some folks think that Goo Gone can leave a residue on the track.  Again, I haven't noticed that.

These are just a couple of suggestions.  Others may have better recommendations.

Bottom line:  It's your track, man.

Regards,

Jonathan

Taz54904

Thanks Johnathan!

I'm guessing that the steel rails are the cheaper of the two?

I've got the cleaner and oil ordered.  Should be here on Monday.

I'll post an update after I'm done.
Russ Handy

Taz54904

UPDATE - I did what Johnathan recommended and now the loco works great again.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Russ Handy

jonathan

Glad it worked.

Regards,

Jonathan