Still hoping & waiting for a Bachmann Prairie

Started by John Tumolo, December 05, 2020, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Tumolo

Hey, gang-It's that time of year again-time to start singing "All I want for Christmas is a 2-6-2, a 2-6-2, a 2-6-2"  For all of you modeling the Maine 2 footers in On30, keep on asking Bachmann to build us one.  Thankfully, we got our Forneys, now it's time for a Prairie.  I don't know if I'll buy 5 of 'em like I did the Forneys, but I'm good for at least 2.  Come on, sing it with me-"All I want............"
Merry Christmas to you all, and a Happy New Year, too!

John Tumolo

J. S. Bach

All that I would like to see is a re-release of the two-bay steel hopper.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

p51

Well, Bachmann released a 2-6-2 within the last 12 months. Yeah, it's a 2-6-2T (and a WW1 trench engine), but it is out there.
Quote from: J. S. Bach on December 08, 2020, 01:48:34 PMAll that I would like to see is a re-release of the two-bay steel hopper.
I wonder if Bachmann considers that the saturated the market or what. Lack of interest doesn't seem right to me, as otherwise why would they still be releasing new stuff?
I was lucky, when I decided to get into On30, you could get Bachmann cars for around $20 all day long. So, I bought them up, and now I have more than a small layout as mine really needs (I have a few flatcars and low gondolas I cut down to resemble 'shorty' ET&WNC converted flats that have been in the boxes since the paint dried on the weathering). Now, Bachmann availability is tanked and prices have shot up to the point where people are pointing out that Accucraft cars are actually cheaper and more easily found from retailers.
Some say that the sales of some Bachmann products proves nobody wants the stuff. Nah, that just shows that some retailers like Trainworld bought oodles of the stuff and don't wanna hang onto it. Just check what conventional retailers are doing, and the stuff is selling and they're having issues keeping it in stock.
I just hope this is part of a bigger strategy, where Bachmann On30 products come back into availability.
God knows I don't need more rolling stock, but I know plenty of people who want the stuff and are having problems finding them...
-Lee

max (uk)

I think half of my posts on this forum have been expressing my interest in an outside framed 2-6-2 tender engine for On30.  ;D

A Maine style 2-6-2 in On30 from Bachmann is the last item on my wish-list that I haven't ticked off. Please Bachmann! Please!

p51

I think Bachmann is looking for items that have overall appeal. us narrow gauge types can be a finicky bunch, as most NG lines never interchanged with another and the rolling stock was all landlocked.
For example, the new-ish Baldwin Class 10s got scattered all over the world after WW1, and could justifiably show up on many NG lines.
Many of the existing locos can be modified into all kinds of things. I saw a neat article a while back where someone took one of the ET&WNC Baldwin ten-wheelers and made it into a credible Southern Pacific NG loco.
It makes me wonder how well the Forneys sold and how much desire there really is for new England prototype stuff...
-Lee

JDLX

I'd be happy to see Bachmann produce a Baldwin 0-6-2T commonly used on the Hawaiian sugar plantation railroads.  Many of them were legitimately 30 inch gauge.  I'd be in serious trouble if one of them became available....

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Ken Clark

For a OF 2-6-2T, take a look at  the "HASKELL"  model of the Baldwin engines built for the Victorian Railway's in Australia.

I picked one up last trip DU.

www.haskellco.net

Ken Clark