News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newest eddition of the EM1

Started by rrtreerat, December 07, 2020, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrtreerat

Beautiful as expected, runs really nice. But two main issues out of the box:
1- the default sound settings are too high for the installation, kept tripping the chip safeties, main volume backed off and the steam chuff still had to be backed off quite a bit, 180 down to 85. (The 'Econami' web site is extremely helpful by having a downloadable trouble shooting (tech reference) doc.) ((Plus a sound CV selection doc too, which helps in selecting the B&O whistle over the default N&W one.))
2- And big one here, had to re-gauge all the engine and tender wheels out from being too narrow for Atlas code 80 set track turnouts, was an absolute 'no-go' on the code 55 turnouts.
After all that 'fun' the engine is settling in to being a really nice addition to my engine roster.
Now if I can just get a replacement drawbar for my fist EM1.
N-Scale and Plant-N-Trak Coordinator

ramarkn

Well, I don't have an EM-1 but almost every one of my Bachmann steamers have had wheels out of gauge. My DCC/sound 2-8-0 had the pilot truck wheels and the rearmost driver too narrow. Both of my 4-6-0's had tender trucks with wheels too narrow. My 2-10-2 is OK so far but I just read the Spookshow review where he demoted the engine from an A to a D based on drivers slipping out of quarter.  I had so much trouble removing the wheelsets from the tender trucks because of the length of the axle points that I snapped off a truck sideframe and had to order a replacement.  Even a small degree of out of gauge can cause either binding or picking frogs/points.  I wonder how wheelsets are gauged at the factory, is there an automated hands-free process, or does some person actually adjust each set individually?  Given the cost of these engines, having to deal with these issues is very disappointing and frustrating, certainly makes me reluctant to add to the roster.