Emmet Kelly Jr. Circus train.

Started by kgdocke1, December 10, 2020, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgdocke1

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum. I was recently handed down a Bachmann Train set from my wive's family. I have never used or had a train set. It is pretty cool. We are trying to set it up to go around our Christmas Tree, but for some reason the train doesn't like to continue going or stay on the tracks. Might be a simple solution or this could just be a very old train and track. Looking for some help! Thanks!

Kyle

Trainman203

Old track needs cleaning.  Old motors and electrical contacts oxidize.   Old lubricants congeal.  

Old automobiles seize up without regular operation.  So do electric trains. Your train set needs cleaning and service. Once that's done it should run fine.

rich1998

I did a search and it seems to be a G scale train with aluminum track.
I gave a a G scale 4-6-0 with two passenger cars  to a son in law some years ago and we cleaned the track with alcohol and paper towels and the wheels and adjusted the lead wheels. It ran ok.
Look carefully at how it runs. Check the tender trucks, Leave the passenger cars off.

Is the track level all around the tree?

Rich

Trainman203

I'd approach this in degrees of difficulty.  Try cleaning the rails first.  There's many ways to do it but a wipe down with a cleaner like Goo Gone is probably the easiest. Black streaks will appear on the rag, repeat until surgically clean.

Then try running the engine.  I'll bet it's a great improvement after track cleaning.  If it's still running jerky, try putting the tiniest molecule of light oil on each rod bearing on the steam engine.  This can actually make a big improvement.  If it still runs rough, continual operation over time usually cleans some of the oxidation off the motor brushes.  Also, clean all the bronze wipers on engine and tender.

There's a possibility that old grease on the interior drive train has congealed.  If that's the case, someone on the forum experienced with this locomotive should be able to offer guidance.

Now, not to spoil the fun, but model railroad track likes to be on a smooth table, not carpet under a tree.  I'd bet the carpet introduces ups and downs that no train can get past.  These modern train sets are much lighter than the tonnage of the Lionel trains of old.  Give the train smooth terrain and it will reward you.