Older Crown Edition #5033 Southern PS-4 4-6-2 stutter chatter - SOLVED!!!

Started by CameraBoy75, December 12, 2020, 11:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CameraBoy75

I'm trying to run my #5033 Southern PS-4 with my Lionel 1033 90 watt transformer and the relay in the tender makes a clicking sound when the train starts to move causing the loco to stutter.  If I start very slowly the train will run fine until I attempt to increase the voltage at some point.  Sometimes I can get beyond this point and the loco runs fine.  Do you think this is transformer related?  It's my only transformer and it runs my Lionel fine.

Regards,
Wayne

Hi Cameraboy75,

671 here.

Before you try a more powerful transformer ...

1.   Only run your locomotive by itself ... i.e. no other loads on that low powered transformer. (Lighted cars, accessories etc.)
2.   Clean center roller pick-ups and wheels with plastic friendly contact cleaner. Remove any and all built-up gunk. Scrape off wheel debris as needed.
3.   Lubricate center roller and wheel bushings with electrically conductive lubricant ( non-carbonizing oil/lube )
4.   Clean your track. Use a mild Scotch pad with a de-greaser like Windex to gently clean all rails of your track.

Merry Christmas ... Hope this helps

CameraBoy75

I checked the dip switches on the tender and they were set wrong.
Two were set to on and that caused the issue.

With these settings the loco runs fine.

forward=off
auto=on
reverse=off