News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0n30 Shay gear replacement parts

Started by petervweimer, December 14, 2020, 05:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Hi from Germany,
after curing my Shays in 2013 with the offered free replacement gears I dropped out of 0n30 for some years. Now back and owner of a second hand Shay that shows definite signs of split gears. The free replacement gear program will certainly not be available any more, so I will have to buy parts from the parts department. They have complete trucks and drivelines for the Shay but cannot tell me if these are already the stronger parts made for the gear replacement program in 2013/14 or the weaker split-prone earlier parts. They do not know of any gear issues...!!!  Can the Bach Man or anyone else with better knowledge at Bachmann help with this information?
Best regards
Peter

2foot6

Hello Peter, I replaced the gear drives on my five Shays years ago with the replacement program in 2013 and all are still operating well, they get plenty of use on my layout. I recently replaced a drive system for a friend who ordered the parts from Bachmann, they appeared to be the same drives as the replacement program drives with the bulkier gears. I prefer to replace the complete truck because some times the clips holding the drive shafts can pop out............Peter

petervweimer

Hi Peter,
thank you for the information. I ordered a pair of trucks and a pair of sideline gears some weeks ago and expect them any day now (they are already in Germany). Will see then what I get... Meanwhile 3 Shays are on the waiting track...
Regards
Peter

2foot6

It's an easy fix Peter, worth while rebuilding the trucks you remove for later, just in case you can't get the parts in the future. .....  .....Peter