News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

10-Wheeler in Tow?

Started by prr22, December 16, 2020, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prr22

I use an LGB Stainz loco (I have 2 which I interchange, and a Chloe which can only pull the battery car and maybe a caboose) to pull about 8 cars around a 14 foot diameter curve in my front yard 12 hours a day.  I have a xmas 10-wheeler, which will completely - well, not do great - working 12 hours shifts outside.  However, I'd like to possibly have it in tow.  Has anyone done this?  Or would you?   ;D

Of course, I'd need to add a front coupler, remove the weight and gear box...
Modeling the rolling hills from Baltimore to Pittsburg

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

There is no reason not to do what you intend!!   I will attach a link as to how I added the front coupler somewhere below In my own case I have added the front coupler to my 4-6-0's so that I can double head them powered, or use one as a pusher at the end of the train.  Might be fun to add the front coupler to it and doublehead with your other locos with it still powered.  I have never done it personally with the 4-6-0, but I have done it with an Aristocraft GE U-25B.  Removing the weights, motors, and gear train, smoke units and Printed circuit board makes the U-25B like just another freight car.  I can run it on the front with another loco, use it as a midtrain helper, or as a pusher at the end of the train

The only concern with the 4--6-0 is keeping the drivers quartered with the gears removed.  If you decide to try it please tell us how  you did it and how you solved any problems!

Link to adding front coupler: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,17706.0.html

The photobucket link in the above link may not work after all these years, but try the Dropbox link it should work.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!