News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale Hobo Shacks

Started by danmerkel, December 28, 2007, 02:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmerkel

Do any of you guys who are really knowledgeable about Plasticville kits know if there were ever any HO Scale Hobo Shacks?  I remember that when we were kids, my cousin bought us O scale Hobo Shacks because she didn't know anything about scale, etc.  But our next door neighbor had HO trains and I kind of remember that he had some of them on his layout.  They looked the same as ours only smaller.  This would have been in the mid 1960s I'm guessing.

I sent someone an email a long time ago who was a member of the Plasticville collectors group and they said that they weren't aware of any HO scaled ones... but I really thought that he (my neighbor) had some.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

dlm

Paul M.

I know that Model Power/Lifelike/AHM/IHC/Tyco (same product, different "brand" name) sell a set of 3 shacks called "Trackside Shanties" (or something to that effect) that could pass for hobo shacks. Maybe they're what you saw.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

the Bach-man

Dear Dan,
Type 45009 into the product search. They're the same as our O hobo jungle.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

danmerkel

No, these weren't old freight cars or the trackside shanties.  They were honest-to-goodness hobo shacks complete with that run-down look... tin patches on the roof, bent up stove pipe, rolled up canvas door cover, etc.  They were cast in brown & grey similar to the colors used for the switch tower.  The O scale ones that I remember were about 3" square. 

Hope the description helps...

dlm

papawbb

Hi!
I am new to model railroading, however, I bought  a set of hobos,made by woodland Scenic, and I believe there are buildings for a hobo 'camp'. You can check on ebay.  I think I saw that today.
Hope this helps!
Steve

Hamish K

The "O" scale hobo jungle (Plasticville) consisits of two small shacks with rolled up canvas door, bent stove pipe et al, and one old battered grounded box car also in use as a shack. I thought I had seen an HO version that was identical (apart from size). I can't tell you when and where and perhaps my memory is playing tricks, but I thought these had been made.

Hamish

danmerkel

We had them when we were kids  I remember my next door neighbor (a serious model railroader) had them as well and I THOUGHT they were HO scale, much smaller than ours. 

But no one seems to know for sure...

dlm

Paul M.

Maybe they have been long discontinued. :-\

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Santa Fe buff

At a hobby shop called Hobbies R 4 U, bradley, IL- they have an old cabosse by Plasticville U.S.A that is a hobo shack for HO. They have a hard time selling that thing.
Pre-assembled.
;) Betta you wish you were out here.
- Joshua Bauer

Hamish K

Let's clarify what is being talked about here. Bachmann make, in O scale Plasticville, two Hobo Shacks. Currently they are sold as part of the O scale Hobo Jungle set, which also includes a grounded box car and an outhouse. At some point in the past  the O scale shacks were sold in a set of two shacks, with no grounded freight car or outhouse. This set was called Hobo shacks. The shacks were the same as those currently in the Hobo Jungle set.

Bachmann make in HO scale built-ups a set called freight sheds which consists of two grounded freight cars. The Hobo shacks are NOT included in this set. What Danmerkel wanted to know is whether the Bachmann Plasticville  Hobo Shacks had ever been produced in HO scale. Not other brands or grounded freight cars. He thought he had seen them a long time ago and I thought I had seen them too. However we both could be mistaken. Does anybody know? They could have been sold by themselves or as part of an HO version of the O scale Hobo Jungle set.

Personally I have no need for them (I am currently modelling in ON30 and have the O scale Hobo Jungle set)  but I am curious as I thought these did exist.

Hamish