News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-4-2 model #91101 Drive gear

Started by Bugsy8259, December 20, 2020, 04:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugsy8259

I have columbia 2-4-2 union pacific steam engine, model 91101. It jumps while going around the track. After farther investigation I found the drive gear is missing a tooth. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Bugsey,

You might try "NWSL.com  I sent them two 242's a couple of years ago, so they could make those gears.   Before you contact them count the teeth on your bad gear and measure it (diameter, width, & total number of teeth.  They have been very helpful to me over the years.  They will do their best to help you.

Let us know how it goes please.   https://nwsl.com/

Cheers & Beers,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred2179

Quote from: Bugsy8259 on December 20, 2020, 04:47:40 PM
I have columbia 2-4-2 union pacific steam engine, model 91101. It jumps while going around the track. After farther investigation I found the drive gear is missing a tooth. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Mr Gear Man Jiro Yermanian has some, which I just fitted in a 2-4-2 Columbia. Full info and pics here:
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30302/nice-columbia-2-4-2-bash-need-info/view/post_id/400792

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Fred,

Could you post the contact info for Jiro Yermanian, I would like to record the info for future help.  As more and more gears become unavailable every source is important!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Bill

Fred2179

Jerry's email is girotek@rcn.com. He's quite active on Facebook and does some amazing ESU smoke/sound/DCC conversions. Besides making gears!

He also has the small double-gear for the 2-8-0 and 2-6-0/4-4-0. See
http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/29767/a-different-spectrum-4-4-0-gear-problem/view/post_id/392637

Loco Bill Canelos

Rluke

I have one of these Big Hauler 2-4-2 locomotives.  I am having trouble with it kind of "bouncing" down the track.  A search on this forum leads me to believe that I have the same gear issue as discussed in this post.  There was a suggestion made to go to the NSL site to find a replacement gear.  Has anyone had recent success finding Big Hauler gears on that site?  I am not even sure what I am looking for when I get to the [Gear Menu] over there.

Thanks
Rich

Fred2179

Quote from: Rluke on April 25, 2021, 03:20:56 PM
I have one of these Big Hauler 2-4-2 locomotives.  I am having trouble with it kind of "bouncing" down the track.  A search on this forum leads me to believe that I have the same gear issue as discussed in this post.  There was a suggestion made to go to the NSL site to find a replacement gear.  Has anyone had recent success finding Big Hauler gears on that site?  I am not even sure what I am looking for when I get to the [Gear Menu] over there.

Thanks
Rich
Rich, as far as I know, NWSL don't sell a replacement gear for the 2-4-2. (Look at the bottom of their gears-2 pdf from the Old Catalog Pages - page 12.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0250/4032/2669/files/Gears_2_2.pdf?263)

I suggest you contact Jerry Yeramian at the above email and buy one from him.

Rluke

Thanks Fred.  I don't see a match on the catalog page 12 but I will try to contact Jerry at the email shown on this thread.

Rich