News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Ready

Started by smife56, December 21, 2020, 04:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smife56

I am new to DCC Trains. I purchased Bachmann Item #52202 HO 4-6-0 Baldwin 52" Driver (DCC Ready) B&O #1357. I need to know what Decoder to purchase to use in this Locomotive. Is it plug in or hard wire. Thanks for any help.

Timmy

rich1998

Welcome

Do you want sound or non sound?
A DZ126PS is a non sound decoder with a plug and small. I have used a DZ125 a few years ago.
My locos came with an eight pin socket to plug in a decoder.
Yours might have the DC adapter plugged into it.
You should have received a paper diagram with it.
Be advised there is a learning curve with DCC.
Sound will require a little more work if no speaker holes. SoundTraxx has a suggestion for this loco.
Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

Soundtraxx decoders, several available.  Their website has a selection guide.  I like the Tsunami2-2 because it has 90 whistle choices and I am a whistle nut.  If you don't mind only 16 whistles and no reverb the Econami is cheaper.

rich1998

I used the standard and Micro SoundTraxx some years ago. I like the reverb.
I have one 4-6-0 with onboard SoundTrax with no reverb but it is ok.

Rich

Trainman203

If I have the story correct, you need to purchase a decoder that will fit inside the tender and an appropriate speaker that will fit the tender.  Soundtraxx can help you with that.  It is a very user friendly company.  The decoder should be able to connect directly to a plug already in the tender , leaving two wires to be soldered connecting the speaker.  The speaker needs to be mounted to the tender floor over the air holes, again, Soundtraxx will have advice.  The decoder itself I believe must be secured inside with strong double stick tape.

If I have this narrative wrong, please correct me, I'd like to learn too.

You can save 40 or 50 bux buying the Econami.  I have a couple of them but the Tsunami2-2 is much more feature laden and fun to run.  As Rich said, there is a certain learning curve but do it, dive into the big boy pool and discover step by step the wonderful world of DCC.