News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Problem

Started by RailMan63, December 29, 2020, 04:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailMan63

Hi,guys! I received my 2-6-6-2 locomotive. When I put it on the track ,it just sat there. The seller I bought it from did say in his auction text that one of the wires on the little 2-pin connector was loose.
I checked, and sure enough,it was indeed broken off in the plug.
Fortunately, I finally remembered that I had one of those plugs in a bin of On30 spare parts. It was taken from the headlight of the first Bachmann 2-6-0 D&RGW locomotive that I bought earlier in the year ,and have been using for parts.
I installed the replacement pug on the wiring, but the loco still wouldn't move,although I did notice that the drive wheels would rotate when I applied power directly to the wheels.
So, I figured that there was a short.
I then reversed the wires on the 2 pin plug,and tried again.
Nothing.
I then reversed the wires again,and was back to being able to get the wheels to go. But only when it wasn't on the track.
One thing that I noticed is that the DCC system in the tender isn't the standard Bachmann unit. I couldn't find any identifying information, but it is a 21 pin motherboard with an 8 pin JST adapter plugged into it.
The control module is larger that the Bachmann unit, and it is 1.05 L x .64 inches wide.
There is no identifying info to be found on either unit.
After several more attempts,and more experimenting, I found that the loco will only operate as long as the 2 plug pin isn't plugged into the bottom of the locomotive.
Everything seems normal.Lights work, and it runs well in both directions.
Just as long as the 2 pin plug isn't plugged in.
It's a rather interesting problem,and I'm wondering it it presents an issue for adding sound to this loco.
Any ideas,guys?

RailMan63

Here's a video of the 2-6-6-2 loco on my test track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCi_tSltc_Y
I'll make a video showing the DCC controller in a couple of days.
As a further experiment, I actually removed the after market DCC control module, and substituted the spare one from my 4-6-0 ,in which I installed the MRC Steam Genie DCC RC system, and it works just fine.
There is a speaker housing in the tender,but no speaker. Nor are there wires going from the motherboard to the speaker enclosure, which makes me wonder if this after market DCC system has sound capabilities, or not.
I would be grateful for any information that you could provide to help me identify the DCC system installed in this looc's tender ,and if it has any sound capabilities.
Thanks in advance!

rich1998

Maybe some photos would help. I suspect you might have had an open. A short would have tripped the power. You did not mention that or I missed it.
All my Bachmann DCC locos had a four pin and a two pin plug.
I have a Bachmann tender with a SoundTraxx micro and speaker and a Mantua loco with it's own decoder that run together just fine, both on the same address.

Rich

RailMan63

Hi guys! Here's a video of the DCC system that's installed in the tender of my 2-6-6-2 locomotive.
Based on the lettering on the back of the motherboard, I'm beginning to think that it may be a Crest Revolution DCC system.
But, I'm not sure.
So, I made this video in the hope that someone can positively identify this system for me.
Video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAZfST5-2w
Thanks guys!

Ton N

The 2-6-6-2 has a 21 pin motherboard in stead of a 8 pin connector.
Don't ask me why they just do.
The decoder you are showing is a standard Bachmann decoder without sound and back emf.
The original sound decoder has a 21 pin connector.

Ton

RailMan63

Cool. So,this should be compatible with most sound decoders out there.
Any recommendations as to which sound system to put in it?
Thanks, Ton!

RailMan63

Ton N

Quote from: RailMan63 on January 06, 2021, 04:46:10 PM
Cool. So,this should be compatible with most sound decoders out there.
Any recommendations as to which sound system to put in it?
Thanks, Ton!

The ones I have with sound , four, are OEM so i can't recommend something else.
Tsunami should do fine.

Ton

RailMan63

Thanks again,Ton !
Here's a video of a real gem of a locomotive that I picked up at about the same time as the 2-6-6-2 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2srXcYIWrA
Later!

RailMan63

If I am reading this right, all I need to do with this unit is to plug it into the 21 pin interface on the motherboard in the tender. Am I correct?
https://tcsdcc.com/1525
Thanks!

Ton N

looks like it but if there is no speaker connected to the motherboard in the tender, you will have to install one yourself and connect it (solder) to the MB.

Ton

RailMan63

Thanks,Ton! I knew about the speaker issue. Bachmann has included a nice speaker enclosure in the tender. I'll just need to find a speaker that's compatible with the new system,and the enclosure.
Thanks again!

RailMan63

So,I've decided
to buy the aforementioned TCS board for the 2-6-6-2, and a TCS  complete DCC install kit with motherboard and sound for my #12 ET&WNC 4-6-0
Wish me luck!