News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on First Railroad Track Pack

Started by smalltimecruiser100, December 31, 2020, 03:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltimecruiser100

After 20 years I am finally setting up my n scale. I purchased Bachmann's First Railroad Track Pack with video. I also purchased an MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780 train controller. I decided to expand the First Railroad Track pack with additional track. What I want to set up is 2 mainlines each running separately tracks with a switch connecting both and the MRC has dual controls.
1. Do I need a re rerailer for each track for power ?
2. With eze-track, do I still need a connector(instead of a joiner)even though the eze-track has built in joiners?

I was waiting on the phone with Bachmann for over an hour on hold until I gave up. Please help. Thank you

plas man

hi , you are not been ignored ( ;D) please be patent as its holiday time , as I only run single line I can not answer your question - may be you could try a post in the general discussion then the HO guys will help out , as it is only power to the track/trains

have a good year ahead

rich1998

You could also post a photo of your layout.

Rich

Maletrain

I don't use Bachmann track, but I will take a stab at this, based on a Google search that turned up a track plan on the back of the package image.

That track plan is basically a closed track circuit, with one passing siding and one spur that branches into 2 tracks.  So, nothing complicated to wire it.  No reverser needed.

As I understand from the OP, the desire is to put another closed track circuit around the outside of this, and have a cross-over between the two closed circuits.  That should also be uncomplicated.  There are only 2 new concepts:

1. The crossover will need to be electrically gapped, so that current is not able to flow from one track circuit to the other when the turnouts are aligned so that a train can cross from one track circuit to the other.  That makes the inner and outer track circuits two separate "track blocks".

2.  The wiring for the inner and outer circuits should have the same polarity to the inner and outer rails when the two direction switches on the MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780 are both to the left or both to the right.  And, when a train crosses that gap, it is important that the direction switches on both sides of the MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780 are going to the same direction, so that there will be no short circuit as the metal wheels on the locomotive bridge the two MRC outputs across that gap.  The speed settings on the two controls should also be about the same as the loco crosses over.

There is one thing that I do not clearly understand about the MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780.  The sales info says it is "common rail" between the 2 controllers.  For "common rail" setups, typically one of the two rails has the electrical gap between blocks, and the other rail does not. You will probably need to get some more info to be sure, but I would think that the MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780 would operate properly with both rails gapped between the inner and outer track circuits.

smalltimecruiser100

I found out my original question but I have another .....Does anyone have Bachman Eze Track and/or the MRC Tech 7 AmPAC 780 that could answer my question. Can't reach Bachmann themselves..on hold for so far 2 1/2 hrs. Without actually doing my own wiring, I want to connect my 4 switches wires to one thing and then run just one wire to the MRC Tech 7 AMPAC 780 Controller. Is there something I could "purchase" to accomplish this again without doing my own wiring