G scale engine, #34942, running problem

Started by celenasafare, January 02, 2021, 07:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celenasafare

Disclaimer: I am not a model train fanatic, nor do I know anything about model trains in general.

This G scale model train set I have was acquired several years ago from a yard sale, with enough track to make a circle around a Christmas tree, so it became my Christmas train for my, now, 10 year old daughter. We have had lots of fun with it until the last couple seasons.
The engine began to run very sluggish on the track pulling 3 cars, and after about a minute or two it just stops.
After some passing time it will start up again (it's as if its running on a thermal overload), tripping, and then resetting.

About 2 years ago I replaced the power supply. no real change. Last year I replaced the entire track. The only thing left is the engine.

Anybody have suggestions on what my problem may be, or how to resolve this issue? If I knew what to do, and the engine simply needed some repair, I could do that myself. I'd hate to do away with the Christmas train, but, at this point it has basically just sat on the track as a display, and has not been run. I would almost think about replacing the engine, just to keep the tradition and the memories going, but, she'll be 11 next year, and she will probably not have any interest at all.

rich1998

A photo or more through I.D. of the engine would help. A diagram of what to look for would show in the Information page possible. Steam or diesel?
Possibly dirty wheels or pickups next to the wheels.
Do you have a multi meter with a resistance scale? That is what I use for trouble shooting.
If you put a screw driver across the track, does it trip the power pack?
I know you replaced the track and pack. I always check with a meter.

You do not have to buy these meters. I have four of them. Just get a meter.

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

Rich

Terry Toenges

In searching online, it looks like 34942 is a Big Hauler Mogul.
Feel like a Mogul.

rich1998

Thanks Terry. I think I gave one with two passenger cars to a son in law ten years ago that had a place in the cars for a battery for lights and maybe the tender for a light for his son.
Long time ago. I do not remember what type of track. I thought aluminum but probably steel. It was new and never used. Someone gave the set to me.

Rich