News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Wheel sets

Started by DoyleS, January 03, 2021, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoyleS

Just curious if anyone is swapping out some of the plastic wheels and axles on Big Hauler cars.  I have a few cars that are prone to derail and I think it is because of the wheels on the cars, maybe not being true or possibly binding.  If you lubricate those wheels,  what do you use?   No problem with the engines as they all have had the chassis replaced last year. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Doyle,

The best way to check wheel sets is to use a wheel gauge.  Several companies make them.  In a pinch you could check the wheel sets by removing them from the car and checking them against the wheels on the pilot truck of one of your locomotives.  I also roll them down the track to see if they wobble.  I only lube the axle ends with a tiny drop of lite plastic compatible oil.  On my layout plastic wheels pick up dirt and crud so I occasionally clean them.  I also have had some show wear on the tread and had to replace them. I am mostly using metal wheels, but prices are way up on them, so I live with them. One guy I know seems to have success using one metal wheel and one plastic wheel on each truck.  He puts the metal wheels on the coupler end of each truck.  Seems to be very happy with it, but I have not tried it myself yet.  I'm guessing most of your cars are from before 2000, because cars made after that have the metal wheels.  If you run a lot you may have a wear problem on the flanges,  you could try reversing the wheel sets and see if that helps.   If you have any extra new plastic wheel sets, you can try swapping them out on one of the problem cars and see if that helps.

Hope one of these ideas will help you.  Anyone out there with good ideas please post them and help Doyle if you can.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

Big hauler set cars are very light, and adding some weight often helps.

Metal wheels are the way most people go, but adding weight will work, but there are other issues with plastic wheels.

Bachmann makes replacement metal wheels, just get the right size.

You can also measure your gauge with an inepensive set of vernier calipers from Harbor Freight

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

DoyleS

Thanks guys.  Mine are clearly all plastic wheels on the cars.  I pretty much resurrected three Big Haulers engines last year and found this forum.  I replaced all of the Loco chassis with the great prices they had last year. The grandkids love setting them up every Christmas season.