News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Three Truck Shay cylinder assembly

Started by nymark, January 10, 2021, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nymark

I got my cylinder assembly for my 3 Truck Shay in the mail. Before replacing the old one, I looked for my manual with the engine diagram but could not find it. I skipped looking for it online as it is hard to see anyway. Thought I would just dig in as it didn't look complicated. I was surprised to find two blue electric leads soldered to some tabs at the top of the assembly. So I heated them up, removed them and soldered the wires to the new assembly. Of, course, I always think I'm going to remember which wire goes to which tab but try as I did, it was only a guess when it was time to solder. My first question is does it make any difference. My next question is what do those wires do. From the wiring schematic, I think they might be chuff sound. Glad to be back in the hobby but I have to relearn a lot of the stuff I figured out a few years ago.

Joe Zullo

Quote from: nymark on January 10, 2021, 02:58:20 PM
I got my cylinder assembly for my 3 Truck Shay in the mail. Before replacing the old one, I looked for my manual with the engine diagram but could not find it. I skipped looking for it online as it is hard to see anyway. Thought I would just dig in as it didn't look complicated. I was surprised to find two blue electric leads soldered to some tabs at the top of the assembly. So I heated them up, removed them and soldered the wires to the new assembly. Of, course, I always think I'm going to remember which wire goes to which tab but try as I did, it was only a guess when it was time to solder. My first question is does it make any difference. My next question is what do those wires do. From the wiring schematic, I think they might be chuff sound. Glad to be back in the hobby but I have to relearn a lot of the stuff I figured out a few years ago.
You are correct in assuming they are the trigger for a synchronized chuff. It doesn't matter which one goes where.  ;)

nymark