News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Pilot in gen 5 Annie?

Started by Danimal, January 13, 2021, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

Searched but didn't see this question. 
Will the new style gen 6 pilot easily mount into an older 5th gen Annie chassis?
If so, how does it mount?  Does it just screw on the bottom of the chassis?
Does the new style still need weights added above the axles to improve tracking and reduce derailments?

Fred2179

QuoteWill the new style gen 6 pilot easily mount into an older 5th gen Annie chassis?
If so, how does it mount?  Does it just screw on the bottom of the chassis?
Does the new style still need weights added above the axles to improve tracking and reduce derailments?
I am not certain, not having a gen6 handy, but I have not seen any comment or remarks about the pilot being changed. It still fits on the long screw under the smokebox in the gen5.  (I am happy to be corrected by someone with a gen6 chassis!)

I do not suscribe the the "add weights" solution. The pilot truck is long and rigid, and a solution is to rfemove the 2 nylon spacers that hold the two pickup strips in the frame. (One has an arrow for direction - if you remove it, put some tape on that end so you know which way round the truck should be!)
Once you take the spacers out, insulate the truck with a strip of tape on one metal strip, or you will get short-circuits.
The truck will now be loose and floppy, with the metal strips holding the wheels in the right place, and it will track perfectly on rough track.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Guys,

The version six 4-6-0 style front truck works fine on the old chassis.  No weight needed.  Just be sure the new truck is positioned just like the old truck, before you mark the location to drill the hole for the screw.  Fred's fix is a great idea as well.  The older front truck works well for me. I just use white lithium grease on the slot, and I carefully push the wires away from the slot and ensure they do not interfere with the spring.  I admit that I do keep my track in good shape, because rough track often causes trouble with rolling stock as well, especially around switches. 

Here is a link to the Version Six new generation pilot truck:

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_623&products_id=8545&zenid=lupt4oibphdqil1h7pf70nll54

BTW just click on the image to enlarge it.

At $34 Plus for the new truck not including shipping seems kind of steep to me.  You might want to try Fred's method first.
Keep having fun!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!