News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC Sound

Started by Boomer2611, December 29, 2020, 09:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomer2611

My first loco arrives today! (OK, with the shipping issues around the nation, we'll see!) I've ordered the Bachmann 60916 BNSF #1734 - Heritage III SD40-2. It has DCC but not sound. Yeah, I probably should have sprung for the sound version, but I'm putting a lot into my first layout. My question is, can DCC sound be added to the loco at a later date, and how does one do that? Your help is appreciated!

John

rich1998

Look at the Bachmann  Soundtraxx decoder selector page for you loco.

https://soundtraxx.com/reference/decoder-selector

TCS has a page for this but not your loco. I know yours is an SD-40 but this should give you some idea. Not easy for a new person.

https://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/666

Rich

Trainman203

Having DCC but no sound is like having a flashlight but no batteries.

mjmcbride08

I want to replace the factory decoder in my GP7 with a Tsunami2. It looks like there is a round area inside the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco. Is that meant for a speaker? if so, what kind of speaker will fit?

Hunt

Round area in fuel tank is for speaker.

Click Here for SoundTraxx recommended speaker to be used with their Tsunami2 sound decoder.

Hunt

Also ----
Click Here for Bachmann speaker and baffle parts for GP7. But it is without relevant specifications to determine if speaker is compatible with SoundTraxx Tsunami2 decoder.

mjmcbride08

Thanks for the help! I would think the Bachman speaker would be compatible, but I will order one and find out.

Hunt

Quote from: mjmcbride08 on January 10, 2021, 07:04:46 PM
Thanks for the help! I would think the Bachman speaker would be compatible, but I will order one and find out.

SoundTraxx recommends the Tsunami2 TSU-PNP part number 885013 for the Bachmann HO GP7
This decoder the audio amplifier is 2 Watt, 8 Ohm load.  If the Bachmann speaker is 1 Watt, 8 Ohm, which it likely is,  speaker will be damaged.