News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44Tonner axle gearing question

Started by VTBob, January 13, 2021, 09:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

Can you interchange the 2 motor wheels with the single motor wheels? Single motor version has 2 cracked axle gears, but I have quite alot of the 2 motor ones here in the shop.

Also, side note, looking for if/when the 3 truck shay sideframes are coming back out. Got 2 shays that dropped most of the gearings last night while trying to show my kid how they worked. :\

Thanks,
Rob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

jonathan

Rob, I don't know how compatible are the two models of the 44-tonner.

However, I can show you what I've done about cracked gears.  I have tried using CA applied to the cracks, and that held for a while.

Then I used a piece of 5/32" brass tubing, acquired at Hobby Lobby.  I cut 4 pieces of tube for the four cracked gears:

DSC_0533 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I slipped those pieces over the cracked portion of the gear, which holds the axle in place:

DSC_0534 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0535_01 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I been running the loco for a while, and so far, so good.  We'll see what happens over time.

I'd like the "sleeves" to be a tighter fit, but they do provide just enough snugness to hold the axles in place.

Regards,

Jonathan

VTBob

I like that fix & will use it on a few other units I have, but my problem is the actual gear itself is cracked. Makes the unit go lumping down the track, instead of a smooth glide.

Thanks
Rob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

rich1998

That fix looks great Jonathon. That should close up the crack nicely.

Rich

jonathan

Rob,

Sorry.  Wish I could be more help.  These little switchers are very cool.  I don't know if NWSL can help with new gears.  I suspect robbing old switchers for undamaged gears may be the best option.

Rich,

Thanks much. Loco seems to be running fine with brass sleeves.

Here's one last photo.  I replaced the conventional bulbs with warm/white LEDs.  Helps make the lights more visible. Though the little plastic light transfer thingy prevents a really bright light:

DSC_0537 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The LED bracket is just a piece of scrap plastic.

Regards,

Jonathan