News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Use old track with new

Started by Oldnewbee, January 13, 2021, 03:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldnewbee

I have resurrected my old Gilbert ho train for my grandson. I am using the ez track, but I have a bunch of my original track(60 yrs.). Is there a way for me to use the old and new together?

jward

Gilbert has used at least four different types of track in its HO train sets over the years. Two of those are definitely incompatible with EZ track. One looks to be standard Atlas track packaged with the GIlbert sets, and the fourth looks like it might be compatible. If the Atlas type of track is what you have, it can be used if you put roadbed of some sort underneath it to raise the rails up to the same height as EZ track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Oldnewbee

Can you explain what to look for in regards to the incompatibility, I would have thought ho track was the same.

jward

How the rails are connected together for one. Two of the Gilbert versions appear to use stamped and folded tubular rail with track sections connected together using pins in the rails themselves, similar to Lionel O track. Those are not going to work with your EZ track. The other two versions use the traditional HO rail joiners that wrap around the base of the rails hildong them in alignment. The Atlas version will have the same rail size (code 100) as EZ track. I am not sure of the rail size of the other version, but it has roadbed under it like EZ track.

As I said in my previous post, the Atlas version is going to be the most compatible with your track. It is actually Atlas snap track resold under the Gilbert name, conforms to what had become the standards for HO track by most if not all manufacturers, and even the geometry of the track sections themselves (length of straights, radii and degree of curves) are similar to EZ track. If this is what you have, it should have the name Atlas molded into the tie strip somewhere, most likely on the underside.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Oldnewbee

Thank you. The track I have does use the same rail joiners as the ez track. Will look for the stamping.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA