News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Chuff chuff simple remedy

Started by Riderdan48, January 15, 2021, 12:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riderdan48

:)
I obtained a 90078 "Plainsman" set, apparently NOS from long storage. It just needed some lubrication, but I couldn't get the sound to work. After following the troubleshooting from earlier posts, I discovered the problem. The contacts that sit under the battery weren't touching the battery (Duh). Anyway, I took a pair of forceps and bent them up a little. Voila! Chuffing away just fine.
More experienced engineers probably will think I'm kind of a dope for even posting this, but I hope it saves another crewman from some frustration with this entertaining feature.

This locomotive appears to have the 5th generation chassis, and it's obviously heavier than earlier versions. The tender seems to be the same except for some minor detailing and the volume dial underneath.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, Riderdan,

Thank you for the great reminder.  This problem happens more frequently than you might expect.  For more serious problems I have posted some sound diagnosis tips in the following link:

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039 

Scroll down to about mid point and you will see it.  On my next update I will add you tip in a more strongly worded way!

Keep having fun, and again thanks again!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Riderdan48

Bill, thanks for your kind words and also for the truly encyclopedic knowledge you share about these great models.

Loco Bill Canelos

Riderdan

You are most welcome, and I very much appreciate your support!  It is the thanks I get from guys like you that keeps me going even tho I am getting weary at 81 years old. 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!