News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis System

Started by BobZ, January 21, 2021, 04:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

I've been using the 'basic' Dynamis Control System since switching from DC to DCC. Have a couple of questions and concerns.

1. Unable to sort my roster into a meaningful sequence.

2. Seems to lose the signal between the controller and the handheld if you get approximately 6 or more feet apart.

3. Seems to lose the signal if you're not pretty much directly in line with it.

4. A couple of the larger locos  seem sluggish now that there are more motive power on the layout (not necessarily running, just
   setting idle.  I assume they are still pulling a small amount of power from the rails. Should I add a power booster?

5. Would an upgrade help? Seems like a controller with a small antenna would allow 360 degree signal.

Looking for any and all sugestions.

Thanks

jward

You are correct about number 4. Decoders sitting on powered track will draw power. I've found it easier to be able to isolate the track they sit on. If you're not sure how to do this, google block control wiring. I've been able to use a 2.5 amp system without overloading it by doing this.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I don't have the Dynamis but  I have the E-Z Command. I bought the booster for it and it made a big difference for me. In my case, I had DCC turnouts as well as the locos so I needed the extra oomph.
Feel like a Mogul.

BobZ

jward - layout was a dc with blocks. I'll reactivate a few sidings so I can power off. Thanks

terry - I'll add a booster to improve performance. Thanks

rich1998

BobZ

Shop around for booster prices and specs.

Rich

Terry Toenges

The lowest ones I've seen have been around $244 to $270 plus shipping. There is one on EBay for $234.95 with free shipping.
This was the cheapest I've seen outside of EBay.
https://www.trainmastermodels.com/Bachmann-44910-Power-Booster-E-Z-Command-5-Amp-p/bac44910.htm
Feel like a Mogul.

BobZ

Terry, bought the one on eBay today.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

ME1808

Are you talking about the signal being weak from the hand held unit?

Eddy

BobZ

Eddy, I have no way of knowing. Batteries are fresh. There isn't a signal strength meter. Distance seems to vary. Angle of handheld to receiver also seems to vary.

ME1808

I had the same problem with it communicating at a distance after dropping the handheld .It got so bad there were delays in the signal .Like it slowed down in the air.  My friend a computer repair guy did a board bake that they use on mother boards that may have cracked solder joints that are intermittent connections in the circuits and it fixed it completely. He did all the circuit boards in the base and the hand held after taking all apart and removing all the parts that could be removed. He used a standard oven at 250F with the boards on a cake pan until It emitted an odor like solder flux or about 5 minutes  He said a lot of modern electronics does this because the solder they use goes not have enough lead in it so is brittle and cracks. He said this method can be used probably on many other things. Just do not touch it until cool down or leave it in any longer then when it first starts to smell .Last ditch effort worked perfectly and has not failed after a few years of much use and a habit of using the tether for the handheld controller  .

Eddy