News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Annie Maroon color?

Started by Danimal, January 23, 2021, 08:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danimal

I'm relettering a SPC Annie and accidentally wore through the paint on the engine cab.  Didn't realize it was painted as the color on the tender  is part of the plastic.  Has anyone been able to find a match to the maroon color?  So far, I haven't found one with the testors, humbrol or revelle paints I've looked at.  Not sure if this color is specific to this road name.  It looks similar to the other engines with this color but I have never put them side by side.  If you have matched the color to the other engines, and maybe even the cars, please let me know.
Thanks.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the correction allowed me to bring up a pic of the SPC Annie.  Back in 2000 when the Annies first came out, I believe the Bach-man did the painting on the sample models which were then sent to the factory for production.  I know he used rattle can Krylon colors in many cases, but that was 20 years ago so hard to say if he even remembers what he used on the SPC Annie. Even at that I would wonder if Krylon even still makes a close maroon now days.

The only recommendation I can make is to try to find a Krylon color that looks close and paint the color on a white card, and also on gray surface.  Then check how close it is to your loco.  Here is a link to the Krylon colors available in the red family of colors:

https://www.krylon.com/color-center/colors/red/
some of those shades look promising.  If a color is very close you can then paint the entire cab side. If it is too light spray a grey or other darker primer then spray again.  Same goes for too dark, use white primer, or any other light primer or other light color and spray over that with the maroon.  I have made this work sometimes needing much patience.  If very close, stand back from it and see how it look from 10 feet away.  If it hard to tell you are probably good to go.

Back when I was doing some custom painting I ended up using Acrylic paints, that you brush on.  I got a high quality "Color Wheel"  Then used a color from the wheel against the acrylic paint available in stores.  If the paint available was close I would use gray, black, cream and white as necessary to to either lighten or darken the color to match.

Good luck to you with your project!

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

the Bach-man

Hi, Fellows,
I believe I used Krylon Burgundy, but their colors have shifted over the years, as have ours.
Matching is the best way to go.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Danimal

Thank you.  I will buy some Krylons and test them.

Danimal

The Krylon color master satin burgundy is still a perfect match.  Was worried at first because it looked too red when it was wet but when it dried it was spot on.  Thank you.