News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnout Help

Started by TheTiger, January 26, 2021, 07:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheTiger

Hey Folks
I'm new to Model Railroading and everything I have is Bachmann. My question is about turnouts that are remote activated by switch. The two Locomotives I have are DCC. I have the DCC command module that came with the Echo Valley set and I also have a variable DC power supply I was going to use for accessories (lights) and power for the turn outs. Lighting and such should be ok as they are not connected to the track. Am I safe in assuming power to the turnouts don't reach the track either. Can I change the DC turnouts to DCC or do I have to buy new ones?
Thanks

rich1998

Not having experience with DCC turnouts, it looks like you will have to change your turnouts as they pickup the DCC signal from the track.
I have used manual controls.
Others will comment who use DCC turnouts.

Rich

jward

Your switches should operate just fine on the VDC power pack you have, Their motors are designed to accept both AC and DC input voltage. Wire them up according to the instructions that came with them.

Making them DCC would require the addition of a stationary decoder. Some who run DCC prefer to operate their switches by DCC as well. Others, like myself, do not see the advantage in it and prefer the traditional slide or push button controls. It's your choice.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA