News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Baldwin Scale Speed

Started by DenS, January 27, 2021, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenS

Hi,
I would like to know what N-Scale speed I should expect from the Bachmann 4-6-0 Baldwin Model: 51461 running on a DC track, no load?
This is the DCC equipped locomotive but still on DC power.
Thanks for reading this... nice board.
DenS

DaveGard

TOO FAST!

Let me elaborate a little on that... with the caveat that I have never run my two 4-6-0s on DC. But, perhaps I can give you one data point that will help with your question.

According to its specs, my DCC controller provides a track voltage of about 14V. I have set the Vmax in the decoders in my two 4-6-0s to 88 on one loco, 100 on the other, out of a max of 255. So, the max DC voltage applied provided to the motors by the decoders would be 14 x 88/255 = 4.8V or 14 X 100/255 = 5.5V.

At DCC speed step 70 (out of 128), my 4-6-0s are traveling at 35 smph.... doing a little more math would indicate they are running at 2.6 - 3.0V.

A loco with dual-mode decoder in DC mode often won't start moving til a somewhat higher voltage [my understanding is it required for the decoder to recognize the DC power source, start sounds (not present in the 4-6-0)?], and I don't know what that value might be. Neither do I know how linear the motor/speed response will be as the voltage is increased (it is VERY linear in the range I use, from 0- 3V, or so). But, I wouldn't be surprised if the 4-6-0s ran at 120 -150 smph at full voltage. Not something I am going to try...

Hope that helps a little...

DenS

Thanks... now I have some idea what i should expect. I am planning on switching to DCC as soon as i get everything running without issues.
Hope a DC user will reply as well
DenS

rich1998

The microprocessor on the decoder requires about five volts to just wake up and maybe a couple volts more for the loco to begin moving, at least for HO models. Nature of the beast for DC operation.

Rich