Bachmann Diesel Locomotive Running Issues

Started by ChemdawgDS, January 29, 2021, 09:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChemdawgDS

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the forum here, but by no means am I new to Bachmann products or model railroading.  So I purchased a Bachmann SD70ACe EMD locomotive with dcc and sound a few months back, and I have to say, I'm not impressed at the moment.  This locomotive derails at EVERY possible location.  I have OLD photo 2000 E8/9 locomotives that will run all day with no problem.  I really like this locomotive, and I want to make it run, but I'm not sure what I need to do.  I have an NMRA standards gauge, and checked the road wheels and they are all the same width, so no problem there.  I'm using all Atlas flex track, and all joints have been soldered and filed.  So the majority of my locomotives run very smoothly around the whole layout.  This locomotive just does not want to run.  If I keep it at a VERY LOW throttle, it will make it most of the way.  IS there anything I can do with this unit to make it run smoother? 

Please let me know.  Thanks.
Pat

jward

Where does it derail? On switches? on curves? Everywhere? What radius curves are you trying to run this on? Do you have any other diesels that large? Do the trucks seem stiff or do they turn freely?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Geeper

Just some thoughts on wheels... narrow wheels derail where standard wheels do not.
From my notes:
"The term Wheel Code 110 and Code 88 relates to the width of the wheels and has no relationship to track code. Code 110 wheels are .110" wide and Code 88 are .088" wide. Code 110 wheels are the common (or "Standard") width wheels and Code 88 are what is called "Semi-Scale" and are used when the modeler wants a more prototypical looking wheel width. Actual HO-Scale prototypical wheel width would be around .067" wide and although they will run OK on the average track they will not go through common turnouts and crossings. Code 88 (.088") is just about the minimum width of wheel that will run on most standard or common track if gauged correctly." 
Hope it helps...

jward

I'm pretty sure Bachmann is not using coed 88 wheels on anything, so that wouldn't be the OP's problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Geeper

Hi JWard and Chemdawg; I wondered so checked my Bachmann GP40 and it has Code 110 (.110") wheels. I do not have a SD70, but believe you are correct. Running Code 88 on any locomotive would not be beneficial to operation. I have 18" radius curves so I mostly run Geepers (GP7, GP9, GP15, GP40, etc).
Have a great day...
PS: I will keep watching this discussion so please post the cause/solution when you guys discover it. I learn something new everyday. Thanks.

jward

As soon as the OP answers us we can start to determine what the problem is. It all hinges on that. SOmetimes, what is happening isn't what you think is happening. I've seen instances where a locomotive would start to derail several feet from where it came off the track. There would usually be a twist in the track, or a bad kink at a joint, and the wheel flange would ride the top of the rail for quite a ways before hitting the ties.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Geeper

Hi Jward, thanks and I agree... it is the deadly error chain effect triggering the later derailment. I had a similar event (not derailment) with a new Walthers F7A. In 18" radius curves the trucks were severely binding, not on the track rails, but on the shell ladders striking two areas on the 'oversized' Blomberg (?) trucks. Removal of 4 brake lines (snip) on the trucks and the lowest rung on four ladders (snip) allowed free truck movement in the tight curves. A little cosmetic refinishing and I now have a good running F7A.