Bachmann's 2021 Thomas & Friends Announcements!

Started by InsideTrack, January 29, 2021, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodimus Supreme

It could've been worse, but it could've been better. It wasn't an outright disappointment, but it was somewhat surprising.

clrp5150

Ryan - One of my favorite CGI-exclusive characters, but I'm not into the CGI series too much, and I would much rather have Stepney, but I'm happy for the people that wanted him
Toby's Museum Coaches - I don't like the New series very much either, but they're some of the most recent rolling stock in the show that isn't obviously meant to sell toys, so I like them even if I don't plan to get them
Yellow Rheneas - Even if I collected the Skarloey Railway stuff, I wouldn't get him. It's too early and gimmicky for a narrow gauge recolor
Narrow Gauge Box Vans - I couldn't care less either way
N scale
Toby - I don't collect N gauge but he was probably the best option for the fourth engine in the line
Scruffey - Very expected, but still cool I guess
Large Scale
Paxton - One of my favorite CGI-exclusive characters along with Ryan, but I don't collect G scale and I personally think it's a bit too early to release him, but it's fine, I don't care
HO scale wagon recolors from a few years back - I don't care
Personal wishlist:
Locomotives: Stepney, Murdoch and Stanley
Rolling stock: Tar Tanker and Red Express coaches rerelease, Spencer's brake coach and the breakdown train
Buildings: Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station rerelease, as well as the watermill

Metal

So I guess I'll posts my thoughts

I personally think that Ryan is a pretty good choice.

There's reasons why he has a wide appeal for a CGI character. The Brenner era characters while feeling inspired and well utilized, most of them are very gimmicky from and aesthetic standpoint. Stephen and Marion for example, are perhaps the most received characters, happen to be as such. Ryan however is the most normal engine we've seen for some time. He feels like a character that would fit in the classic series. Also given that he's not only paired up with Daisy a classic character that was given a lot of starring episodes compared to the model series itself. Ryan in the show had the most affiliation with the Little Western characters. Which are Bachmann's best sellers, so I think Ryan will fair well for the range.

Personally I'm not a fan of N Scale in general, but I'm curious to see the range expand.

Also with LS range, I really find Paxton to be the highlight of the range despite being a repaint, the face is obviously a major step-up from his HO counterpart.

Other then Stepney and perhaps Boco.

I think Hiro could make it into the range, despite being a tender engine. He has a strong following in Japan, which is a huge Thomas market.
Stephen is too small for the moving eye mechanism, and Marion is too gimmicky for Bachmann and those characters with normal designs such as Charlie, Nia and Rebecca are the most loathed characters.

Overall, Stepney, Boco, and Hiro are perhaps the few characters I could think of for HO/OO.

Stephen could work as an Large Scale Engine though.

clrp5150

Nia doesn't have a very "normal" design in my opinion
Personal wishlist:
Locomotives: Stepney, Murdoch and Stanley
Rolling stock: Tar Tanker and Red Express coaches rerelease, Spencer's brake coach and the breakdown train
Buildings: Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station rerelease, as well as the watermill

rallinen

I have switched from HO to Large Scale.  As a member of a group of G scale we usually run trains for a number of events, exception was 2020. Anyway, running Thomas is a big hit with the kids. Have converted Thomas to battery power and RC control. Also added sound and lights. Next project is Percy.   I would like to get a Toby for my collection but waiting for  Bachmann to offer  Henrietta .   like to run cars behind the engines that one would have normally seen in the episodes.  For Toby its Henrietta.

Considering Covid shut down last year I am glad Bachmann is still producing large scale, so as it maybe. Slow is certainly better that none at all.

Chaz

Some better pics of the large scale Diesel and Paxton:

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Armada Starscream

Hey, how many modelers you suppose will make the Toby's Museum Coaches into Alice, Mirabel, Isabel, and Dulcie?

That would be interesting to see.

Armada Starscream

I meant Duck and Olivers Autocoaches.

I guess in general I wonder if modelers will use Museum Coaches rather than Red Coaches, seeing how the Museum Coaches look like they are in GWR Livery.

Angelob6660

The slip coaches are about the same length of the express cars. It has two cabbage department on both sides and 5 doors in between. This will require new tooling.  

I would like to see the old coaches from season 1. Although the old coaches has 5 doors instead of the 4 doors on the branch line coaches. It be nice to see them.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Armada Starscream

Maybe they could modify the Spencers Coaches to get started on the Slip Coaches?

I would love to see the Old Coaches as well. It has been a while since we got a new rolling stock tooling, and the Old Coaches are very popular with fans and modelers, so there is indeed a demand.

And if Bachmann needs more incentive, they could also recolor the Old Coach toolings to make Teak Old Coaches, as seen here.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/f/f7/LNERTeakCoaches.png/revision/latest?cb=20170514050003

They are making more obscure Rolling Stock like the Museum Coaches after all.

TTL

Yeah but with things like the museum coaches, they were LBSCR 4 wheelers anyway. Every bogie coach in the range is an LMS coach, quite far off from a GWR slip, even the ones in the show.
Old Coaches I could see, being a quick recolor variant.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.