Bachmann's 2021 Thomas & Friends Announcements!

Started by InsideTrack, January 29, 2021, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilux5972

A bit disappointed the catalogue doesn't even have a drawing of Daisy. Even the new museum coaches have a drawing. Daisy was announced over a year ago. Doesn't give much hope of seeing any progress in the next live stream video. And where is yellow Rheneas from?

Cheeky_ULP

Hopefully we don't have to wait very long for high-resolution images of Large Scale Paxton and Diesel..

Chaz

Loving the museum coaches!

It was nice seeing large scale Diesel and Paxton in the stream too
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rodimus Supreme

https://youtu.be/xGq9huBLbRw
Here's the video showing off the new Thomas stuff that includes Large Scale Paxton, Toby's Museum Coaches, and a look at Large Scale Diesel's eye mechanism at work.

TrainFan97

We're finally getting HO Scale DCC sound equipped models, as they've been a very popular request for some time now. The first ones will be Thomas and Percy.

Ryan will be the first new tooling in the HO range of a character who originated from the CGI series.

Now that Toby got confirmed, what should be the next N Scale engine? Possibilities include Gordon, Henry, Emily, and Edward.

On the topic of new toolings for HO Scale engines, I'm reposting what I said before in my previous reply, but with a few additions.

Which new tooling is most likely next for HO Scale?

-Stepney (last appearance in model series)
-BoCo (last appearance in model series)
-Stanley (unique white livery)
-Porter (would be great if Salty comes back)
-Samson (they'd need to make Bradford to go with him)
-Whiff (they'd need to make Scruff to go with him)
-Den (they'd need to make Dart to go with him)
-Norman (not frequently used in the show, nor did he have a dedicated episode, but people can show his potential with their own stories with him)
-Timothy (not frequently used in the show, but would go good with Bill and Ben, but Marion is too gimmicky)
-Hiro (very popular choice, but he's quite a big and detailed engine)
-Gator (only appeared in Tale of the Brave and Season 18, but would be another longer engine)
-Glynn (would be an awkward design, but is he impossible?)
-Stephen (same as Glynn)

If we can't get model series characters like BoCo or Stepney, which characters from the CGI series would be most possible, or best received? For me, my favorites would be Porter, Timothy, and Norman. Hiro could be the first tender engine to be made since Donald and Douglas. Unlike Norman, at least Timothy had a few episodes dedicated to him. Timothy would be a small and simple engine for Bachmann to make, and he's also a likeable CGI character. Norman's tooling can be reused to make Dennis.

Someone responded with Hiro and Porter being possibilities, but I'd like to hear what others think. Which ones are to vouch for next?
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon the 2nd

I already shared my input on HO scale engines, so I'll do the same with N Scale.

For me, what N Scale engine(s) should be made in the future heavily depends on how much longer the pandemic is active and how Bachmann will continue being affected:

• If the pandemic goes on past this year, I would hope for Edward to come next. His design shares certain elements with the currently-in-production James which could make him cheaper to produce on some level. For as much as Mattel has been pushing Edward to the side in recent years, I also can't imagine him being more likely as time goes on.
  • Another choice with similar reasoning is Mavis - she's also a good cost-friendly option since she could share a chassis with Toby, but relevance may likewise play a key issue with the character. If we can't get her in Large Scale, we could still at least get her in N Scale.
  • If Bachmann is not as affected by the pandemic as we've been thinking, Gordon and Henry would be welcomed. They've been frequently demanded since the N Scale lineup's beginning, and the Large Scale Diesel and Paxton have proven that it's possible to develop two similarly-tooled characters at the same time.
  • While I mention Diesel and Paxton - I already talked about this before, but part of me hopes that both characters are saved for a later time in the range. Introducing a tooling as versatile as Diesel's that soon might not be the most helpful choice and I'm sure most people would want the full original Steam Team to come first.
  • There isn't much that I have to say about Emily, but I do think there's a chance she could be next since she was present early on in the other ranges.

I'd like to hear what others think about possibilities of future engines for HO and/or N Scale.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

TerencetheTractor525

It is that time of year again! Before I go into my thoughts on the new announcements for 2021, I wanted to thank Doug Blaine of Bachmann Trains for taking the time to make Thomas videos for last Wednesday's TrainWorld stream as well as the Amherst stream that occurred yesterday. I hope that this is something that can be done more in the future, as it was very nice to hear about the updates on all the upcoming products such as Daisy. Looking forward to the exclusive TrainWorld stream on February 18th as well!

Now for my thoughts:

First in line are HO Thomas & Percy with DCC Sound & Board, a great announcement! Even though I do not plan to purchase these, I know that many other Thomas fans wanted to see these made and am glad that Bachmann came through with the request.

Next to discuss is the new HO engine: Ryan. Initially, I was frankly somewhat frustrated with this announcement as I was hoping to see Stepney as the next HO engine with tooling announced, especially after all the time and effort that was put into explaining why and how he was the number one engine with new tooling that everyone wanted to see announced next. However, seeing that Ryan does go hand in hand with Daisy in the CGI era, I understand why Bachmann resorted to announcing him first, and I do look forward to seeing how the model turns out. Specifically, I hope that the HO Ryan will have an open cab, like the Rosie model.

In response to TrainFan97's posts on future HO engines, if I am going to be honest, I do not think that we are going to see any more newly tooled HO engines for at least a few years. This also explains why I was slightly frustrated with Ryan's announcement over Stepney. Nonetheless, here's hoping that Stepney is still a possibility for the future, as none of the other CGI engines interest me except for Hiro and Sidney to an extent.

Moving on to Toby's Museum Coaches, these were a very nice surprise! As someone who cherishes the model era of the Thomas television series, it is nice to see another announcement from that era. In yesterday's stream, the models looked absolutely stunning, and even though the brake coach only appeared in the television series, I will happily be purchasing both of them once they are released.

With the museum coaches announced, one other coach that I would love to see and purchase from the model era is Gordon's Special Coach. Considering that it is a repaint of Spencer's Special Coach, I could see this as another possibility for the future.

In terms of narrow gauge, while I do not mind the announcement of Yellow Rheneas as a recolor, I do concur with others who have stated that Smudger would have been a better announcement as a recolor. Yellow Rheneas was certainly an odd choice, and I do not plan to purchase this one.

Yet, overall, given that engine recolors can now happen in narrow gauge, I hope to see Smudger announced in the next few years. Would purchase a Bachmann Smudger model in a heartbeat!

On the other hand, the newly announced narrow gauge box vans were a pleasant surprise, and a very smart move by Bachmann for multiple reasons. Firstly, in the television series, they are almost the same tooling as the narrow gauge brake vans, but without the ticket windows and door detail, making them an easy, but effective new tooling for avid fans. The price is much more reasonable than the previously announced Peco ones as well. Overall, if Bachmann bases the new tooling for these vans on the model from the television series, I will definitely consider purchasing two red box vans, and maybe even one blue box van.

Here's hoping that the same can be done with accurate narrow gauge open wagons next year, but that is a completely different discussion for another time.

For N Scale, I am thrilled to see Toby joining the line, and look forward to seeing how the model will turn out, as it is the first engine in the Bachmann N Scale Thomas line that Tomix has not already tackled. After him, I hope to see Gordon announced, but Emily seems more likely to me as of now. S.C.Ruffey was inevitable, but a welcome addition, nonetheless.

Finally, for Large Scale, I think that it is fair to state that everyone saw Paxton coming after Diesel's announcement, considering that both models utilize the same tooling. However, it is wonderful to see that Bachmann took the time to adjust Paxton's eye mechanism in order to make a face plate that is more accurate to how he appeared in the show. As for the rolling stock recolors, there is nothing to really state, other than the fact that it would still be nice to see the red branch line coaches announced for Large Scale in the coming years, especially with Toby's Museum Coaches as recolors that could be announced afterwards as well. Yet, that too, is a discussion for another time.

In regards to discontinued products, in addition to the original narrow gauge red and blue box vans that were based on the Peco tooling, it seems that the HO Cargo Car, Cream Tanker, and Round Water Tower are now discontinued. The discontinuation of the round water tower is the most surprising to me, given the countless times it appeared in the show and very reasonable retail price. However, I am relieved to see that no resin buildings have been discontinued for this year, given how wonderful those models truly are.

All in all, the announcements for this year are solid. The only factors that slightly disappoint me are that Ryan was chosen over Stepney as the new HO engine with new tooling, and the same goes for Yellow Rheneas and Smudger. Yet, given the circumstances stated above, here's hoping that Stepney and Smudger can still be a possibility for the future. I would be ecstatic to see both of those announced at some point.

Thank you very much to everyone at Bachmann Industries, and I look forward to watching the exclusive Bachmann Thomas TrainWorld Stream in the coming weeks.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

I do understand why Ryan was chosen over Stepney. Daisy is coming soon, and Ryan would be perfect to join immediately following her. Neither Daisy nor Ryan have images yet, but they do have prices, which is a sign they both could be coming this year. I wouldn't bet on Ryan coming this year, but Daisy is definitely coming this year for sure.

Terence, I understand you're not a fan of CGI characters. I was just asking which ones would be best-received if we can't get characters that last appeared in the model series. I know many are frustrated that Ryan was chosen over Stepney, but we can keep requesting Bachmann to make him until they do. He's been in popular demand for many years. Look how long it took for Bachmann to finally make DCC sound equipped models in the HO range.

Given that the HO range now has two new toolings on the horizon, we may not get another new tooling for at least a few years, but it would be nice if after Daisy gets released, another new tooling would have a chance after Ryan. We most likely would get another recolor following Ryan, and if we do, we can hope it's Sidney, who is a character I've been wanting done for years now, just so we can finally wrap up the Class 08 diesel shunters in HO Scale.

For HO Scale rolling stock, are we getting the Explosives Van, Chocolate Syrup and Toffee Tankers, or not? They've been exclusive to Large Scale for years now. At least the Museum Coaches were actually in the show, although only the brake coach was used. Another great rolling stock recolor Terence mentioned was Gordon's Special Coaches, which were also in the show. Maybe we can get those in the near future. I also want to see the Orange Coaches (that are not Annie and Clarabel).
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

Dear bachmann staff,

Hello, my name is Jordan. I would like to suggest the following for the NMRA in 2021:

HO Scale:

Stepney
Explosives van
Reintroduced tar tanker
Chocolate syrup tanker
Toffee tanker
Sidney
Reintroduced red express coaches
Troublesome truck #7
Troublesome truck #8

Narrow gauge:

Smudger
D Fusit gunpowder van

Large scale:

Henrietta
Troublesome truck 3
Red coaches - composite and brake

N scale:

Henrietta
Spiteful brake van
Gordon
Henry
Edward
Duck
Emily
Emily's coaches
Troublesome trucks 3, 4, 5 and 6
Express coaches
Tar tanker
Milk tanker

Angelob6660

In the video he didn't give a release date when or if Origin James is even out.

I believe that Peter Sam will be arriving late Nov/Dec this year. My intuition is he'll be available for next year.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

GordonPacific04

Definitely would've preferred to see Stepney, however I am very Happy with Ryan as he is one of the best CGI characters.

The museum coaches I initially wasn't all to thrilled about, however once I saw them on the layout, they looked absolutely stunning.

I highly doubt Yellow Rhenaes will sell well, considering he's a more expensive narrow gauge engine, and his appearance wasn't as iconic as the Thomas, James, or Rosie recolors. Honestly, this may seem a little harsh, but I think Bachmann would just be better off canceling Yellow Rhenaes altogether. Cancelations haven't happened much, but honestly given the feedback, I think it would be for the best. I just don't know how feasible that would be.

Paxton looks fantastic as well. Very curious on how they did the eye mechanism.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this years announcements. 

FfarquharStudios

Im not really into G scale Thomas & Friends so i will touch on Narrow Gauge and HO . . I am disappointed in the Ryan Announcement I Feel If We Were going to get another tank Engine it should have been Stepney. I'll be Honest i feel a Yellow Rheneas was a Huge Waste and To see that a recolor of him is to be released and its not Smudger its a disappointment I Dont think Bachmann listens to the Fans we dont ask for much and i feel theres a Bit of Laziness on Bachmann's part . . Im not a CGI fan and im almost confident that most of the Buyers of Bachmann T&F are from the Model Railway era I feel before you touch on the New Less rememberable characters you should first take care of the OG's i wont Lie even though i dont watch CGI era T&F i actually have heard of Ryan before so im guessing there is some popularity there But i feel Stepney should have been released first think about the Amount of people that would spend the Money to get Stepney on their Layout

JLK2707

But then he could just be made as a 3D printed model.

Angelob6660

To be honest. When I read yellow my mind instantly thought of Duncan. I thought what was weird putting yellow in front of Duncan just in case you're not aware of his color. Than the name Rheneas and said oh that explains it. Already for recolors before the others are finished.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Toad139

I took some time to gather my thoughts regarding this year's announcements, and overall, I am quite happy.

Ryan definitely makes sense as Bachmann's next engine, he is a modern character and fits nicely with Daisy being announced. I would have personally preferred a model series character such as Stepney or Stanley, but I'm not disappointed. Ryan will be the largest engine Bachmann has made in quite a while so that's exciting to see. I'm sure his model will turn out great.

The museum coaches look great, I'm glad they gave them proper white rimmed wheels too. I initially didn't care too much for them, but after seeing how nice their models are, I will probably pick them up once released.

I have no interest in Yellow Rheneas. I'm not surprised there isn't a new engine announcement this year because of Covid and all the delays that occurred as a result, but Yellow Rheneas seems quite pointless.

I hope the new box vans turn out nice, I would love to see TV Series accurate open trucks as well, although I think they are just making these vans because they are already making breakevens that share the same tooling, but you never know what could happen in the future.

Toby and S.C. Ruffy are great choices for N Scale, I will probably pick these up one day.

G Scale Paxton is a nice surprise as well, and his face looks great. The new G scale wagons are nothing special, but it is always great to see them expanding the range.