Bachmann Thomas & Friends Summer 2021 NMRA Predictions

Started by TerencetheTractor525, January 31, 2021, 03:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerencetheTractor525

With the new Thomas & Friends Announcements for Winter 2021 revealed, I think that we can all agree that the line-up is solid. However, the one announcement that has especially received mixed thoughts from fans is the Narrow Gauge Yellow Rheneas. Thus, I wanted to bring up one Thomas product that would be a very pleasant surprise for the NMRA this summer to make up for that, as he also shares the same tooling as Rheneas: Smudger!

This idea first came up when thinking about one product that was announced with mixed thoughts from Winter 2020 (Busy Bee James), and what was announced in the summer afterwards (Origin James), which many more fans were happy with, plus both models utilized the same tooling.

I have zero doubt that a Bachmann Smudger would do much better than a Yellow Rheneas in terms of sales, primarily because he is a classic character from the model era. Hence, there is nostalgic value to him. Announcing Smudger would also provide an additional model that modellers can purchase to make Dolgoch, in case the Rheneas models are out of stock.

While some may argue that Smudger would not make sense without a model of Duke first, take a look at Yellow Rheneas. Rheneas appeared in the yellow paint scheme at the end of a movie for 20 seconds with Victor and Luke, two other engines that Bachmann have not made. Furthermore, while others may argue that Smudger is not relevant anymore, neither is Yellow Rheneas. Plus, take a look at the Spiteful Brake Van or even Toby's Museum Coaches. Those were both only seen briefly, yet the reception for them was positive because they have appealing designs and nostalgic value, which Smudger also has.

All in all, I hope that this suggestion can be passed along for the summer, as I know for a fact that many fans would be ecstatic to see a Bachmann Smudger announced, and make up for Yellow Rheneas' announcement. I, without a doubt, would purchase a Bachmann Smudger, unlike Yellow Rheneas.

As always, here are some follow-up questions for other fans:

1. Would you buy a Bachmann Smudger?
2. Do you think that Smudger would have been a better announcement than Yellow Rheneas?
3. Do you think that an announcement of Smudger for this summer would make up for the mixed reception on Yellow Rheneas?

Thank you very much for reading my post, and I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts!
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Mulfred100

Firstly yes I for one would absolutely buy Smudger in a heartbeat. When I saw that Yellow Rheneas was announced I'm not going to lie I firstly thought "why?" Then I thought "wouldn't it have been better to do Smudger first since the only thing they would need is the face and even then I'm sure people would probably use the ertl Bertrum's face as some modelers have done so on here when making their custom Smudger models.

Ertl Bertrum shown here as a reference

As for do I think Smudger would have been a better announcement then Yellow Rheneas. Honestly yes I do think that. As Terence said Yellow Rheneas was on screen for 20 seconds in his Yellow paint scheme with two characters that currently aren't available and that yellow paint was never seen since or referenced. Yes theres merchandise of yellow Rheneas but I'm always of the opinion that unless there's a major story too that particular colour scheme then for me personally I'm not interested. Red Rosie, LBSC Thomas and Origin James are all examples of for me Recolours I plan to buy. However Busy bee James and Yellow Rheneas aren't. Same would be said if Bachmann did Blue Bill and Ben or Pink James or any of the Percy suggestions. They just aren't for me however I'm going wildly off topic here. Yes I do feel Smudger would have been better then Yellow Rheneas.

Lastly yeah I do feel that if Smudger was announced in the Summer or in the next batch of announcements whenever they maybe he will be very well recived. Also I'd love to point out a couple of pro to having Smudger in the line. For one there is no money spent on new tooling as I say you just need the face. Secondly when and if Bachmann make Duke then they have another character at their finger tips in Bertrum. Smudger's face and Duke's body = Bertrum. So thats another win for Bachmann. Lastly I found these images on Deviant Art of two mock ups someone made of both Smudger and Yellow Rheneas.

That is literally how easy it would be to make Smudger

RailwayRoundhouse

I would most definitely purchase a model of Smudger. I do believe Smudger would have received better results then a Yellow Rheneas and if Bachmann decided to release Smudger in the summer, I firmly believe that he'd still be met with great feedback and sell really well. Of course, these are just my personal thoughts.

Falcon the 2nd

To answer Terence's questions:

1) Yes. Although I don't have the base Rheneas model yet, more classic content is welcomed. I can see myself buying Smudger if they intend to produce him beyond a limited run and maybe even announce Duke alongside him.
2) Though I do agree that he would've been the better announcement, I think Yellow Rheneas could've also been the safer choice for Bachmann to go for at the moment. Repainting an engine without changing its face or nameboard could've served as both a cheaper option and a test run for potential engine recolors.
3) Part of me feels like fans outside the forum would be peeved by seeing two recolors in a row and would rather see Sir Handel announced (mainly depending on whether any news for Peter Sam is shared by then), but as far as comparing reception to Yellow Rheneas is concerned, I think Smudger would be better-received.

I don't expect Smudger to be announced this summer as I think it might be too soon for another recolor, but I lend my regards to those who anticipate him. My guess is that he'll be announced along with Duke after the rest of the main six Narrow Gauge engines are eventually completed with Peter Sam, Sir Handel and Duncan.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

TrainFan97

Nobody asked for Yellow Rheneas, so Smudger would be a much better choice for a recolor in HOn30 Scale. He has nostalgia value. They'd have to not only change the paint scheme, but the face as well for Smudger. If Bachmann ever does make Duke someday, they can simply reuse Smudger's face to make Bertram. When Bachmann does make Sir Handel (hopefully soon), they can use his tooling to make Proteus. Smudger, Bertram, and Proteus were all recolors that only appeared briefly, but so was Yellow Rheneas.

Another NMRA hope I have is Sidney for HO Scale. He's a character I've been wanting for some time now. I'd be shocked if Sidney gets announced in Large Scale before HO Scale. If Sidney does end up getting announced in Large Scale first, popular demand will get him made in HO Scale as well, just like the Spiteful Brake Van.

I know it's a bit late, but other ideas for recolors in Large Scale include LBSC Thomas and Origin James. I would suggest them for N Scale, but the N Scale range is currently in its infancy, and engine recolors wouldn't be best there for the time being.

For N Scale rolling stock, I'm shocked they still didn't announce the Milk Tanker.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

GordonPacific04

In response to Terence's questions, I would definitely buy Smudger over Yellow Rhenaes any day, and definitely think that he would've been a better pick between the two. As for whether it'll make up for it, I don't know.

I highly doubt Yellow Rhenaes will sell well, considering he's a more expensive narrow gauge engine, and his appearance wasn't as iconic as the Thomas, James, or Rosie recolors. Honestly, this may seem a little harsh, but I think Bachmann would just be better off canceling Yellow Rhenaes altogether. Cancelations haven't happened much, but honestly given the feedback, I think it would be for the best. I just don't know how feasible that would be.

Going back to smudger, he would be very nice to see. Would be a very simple recolor besides the face.

Chaz

I think what disappoints fans the most about yellow Rheneas was the timing of when it got announced, especially when HO was able to pull off Ryan while still working on Daisy and vice-versa for N scale Toby while N scale James is still in production.  Especially when the demand for Sir Handel was very evident.  However, Doug made it clear in the video that Peter Sam will be taking some extra time, which is likely why they went with a recolor like Yellow Rheneas over a new engine tooling like Sir Handel.  If for some reason they still aren't able to do a new tooling, Smudger would really be the only recolor option they would have left (unless if they wanted to make Stuart out of Peter Sam and just incorporate a new funnel and nameplate for the model, but I won't get my hopes high on that one)

But to answer the initial questions, yes I would buy Smudger and I agree he would be a lot more of a welcome addition than Yellow Rheneas.  But to answer the third question, I think Smudger would be a solid backup option for the summer announcements if and -only- if they aren't able to pull off Sir Handel.  While I don't know if it would make up for the mixed reception of Yellow Rheneas, it would be an all around better choice, and that's what made people happy about the Origin James announcement last summer after the previous disappointment of the Busy Bee James.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

FfarquharStudios

Im really not sure where Bachmann get's there ideas from when releasing Characters and Rolling Stock Its Bad Enough That The Models Are Made Based On Their CGI Appearances But Now I Believe Bachmann Is Just Being Lazy. Anyone Who Knows T&F Knows If You Think About Repainting Rheneas The First Thing That Comes To Mind Is Smudger Even I Had No Idea Rheneas Even Had A Yellow Repaint. I Felt Smudger Was Awesome In His Series 4 Appearance In Under 60secs Smudger Stole That Episode He Had Character He Was Different Its Hard To Make A Character In Any Show Stand Out In Such A Short On Screen Appearance But Smudger Did Just That. His Model Would Easily Sell Out If Bachmann Released Smudger Instead Of Yellow Rheneas Which I Will Never Buy Ever ! . . Its Not 5 Or 6 Year Old Kids Buying Your "US$100" Models Bachmann Its People Who Have Been T&F Years Before CGI & I Think Its Time Bachmann Pays More Attention To What The Fans Want . . Bring On Smudger If You Want To Do A Proper Rheneas Recolor

TrainFan97

I think Mattel pushes Bachmann to make mostly CGI-based models. Though, we have been getting model series rolling stock like the Spiteful Brake Van, and the upcoming Museum Coaches. We also ended up getting Busy Bee James, which is an engine recolor based on the model series, so there's NO EXCUSE not to make Smudger using the Rheneas tooling. To make Smudger, Bachmann just needs to change the face and paint scheme on Rheneas.

Seriously, nobody asked for Yellow Rheneas, just like how nobody asked for Busy Bee James.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Ronniethe14xxx

My hope for NMRA would be it would be enough time for Peter Sam to be in the stage where a new engine could be announced like they did with Ryan for HO. Preferably Sir Handel. I feel like five months should be enough. Although if it isn't I would settle for Smudger.

For the standard gauge line I'd expect only recolors just because of Ryan.

Sidney and the explosives van would be really cool. Maybe some of the large scale tankers in ho also.

If they wanted to keep the theme of obscure hit rolling stock going..I think Gordon's special coaches might be a possible option of a simple repaint of either Gordon's coaches or Spencer's coach

TrainFan97

If another HO Scale engine does get announced this NMRA, there's a very good chance it will be another recolor. If that's the case, then it's about time Bachmann finally makes Sidney, once and for all. He will complete the Class 08 series of characters in the HO Scale range. Sidney has been requested for years now, especially since his tooling already exists. I do like the look of Green Salty, but for now, the #1 priority for an engine recolor in HO Scale is Sidney.

For rolling stock, why can't Bachmann just bring the Explosives Van, Chocolate Syrup and Toffee Tankers to HO Scale already? They've been requested for years, and Bachmann hasn't given them to us. I am looking forward to the Museum Coaches, and Gordon's Special Coaches would also be a great idea. Personally, I'd like to see the Orange Coaches.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/1/13/Edward%27sExploit32.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20180816201350

And while they're at it, they can make an Orange Brake Coach. It would be the reverse of the Museum Coaches, where only the brake coach was used, but we're getting a regular coach as well.

By the time we see Peter Sam, we can hope Sir Handel can get announced this NMRA, but if a new tooling isn't possible for the time being, then they can make Smudger for HOn30 Scale.

Last year, we only got one announcement at the NMRA, which was Origin James. Many of us, including myself, were upset about there being only one announcement.

JLK2707

TrainFan97, sometimes one is just better than nothing whatsoever.

TrainFan97

Quote from: JLK2707 on February 02, 2021, 02:39:33 AM
TrainFan97, sometimes one is just better than nothing whatsoever.

I guess you're right. I do remember some people flipping out last summer. Origin James was something that should've been announced earlier in the year. Even if the only announcement this summer is Sidney or Smudger, it's still better than nothing.

TerencetheTractor525

Thanks for the responses guys. It's great to see that everyone supports a Bachmann Smudger, so here's hoping that he can become a reality for this summer, as a nice recolor. It would make up for the disappointment that was Yellow Rheneas, and to an extent, Ryan over Stepney.

As for an HO Sidney, even as a CGI character, I would support him getting announced soon because the model would utilize the same tooling as Diesel and Paxton. However, I see him more as a possibility for next February, especially with Daisy and now Ryan in play.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Toad139

I would 100% buy a Bachmann Smudger. I personally don't care to much for the CGI series, so anything relating to the classic seasons is more likely to peak my interest, but I don't see Yellow Rheneas being too popular with anyone, regardless if you like the CGI series or not. Smudger would be a new character to the range, even if he is just a Rheneas repaint.I believe that alone gives him more appeal, and would make more people consider buying him.