News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Cars question

Started by akakrak, March 15, 2007, 12:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akakrak

I'm in the process of buying passenger cars for my planned layout, being new I'm not sure what the correct type of car, (heavyweight, Streamlined) to run with a Chicago & Northwestern E6A engine.  Does anyone know of a good source for this type of information.   The last time I saw a C&NW passenger train I thought they were streamliners, but that was over 30 years ago, but for some reason I want to say that the engine being used for that was a F7.  Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

John Murphy

Best idea is a C&NW Internet search  -- E6+locomotive+passenger+trains+of+ {add years you wish to search}
Hope this helps.

Rich R

akakrak

You might wish to try the historical society at
http://www.cnwhs.org/index.htm and there was a name train "The Challenger" that possibly was pulled by an E unit. Check that out there are some modeling pictures as well.

While you're at it try this http://algomacentral.railfan.net/old_cnw.htm
as it has a picture of an E unit with silver trucks. Seems like a good place to look.

Cheers,
Rich R

lanny

Akakrat,

I clearly remember back in the early 70s when CNW was running a branchline passenger from its mainline trackage through Iowa, to Des Moines. It was pulled by an 'E' unit, but I do not know which 'E' unit. I also know a former engineer of the CNW who has a layout that represents central Iowa. He runs an 'F' unit hauling one old style, heavy weight passenger car. And he is very prototypical in his layout. So maybe either one would work.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Railroads use old stuff.  I don't know about CNW, but I know that C&O ran trains with both heavyweight and lightweight for a long time.  Front end cars remained Pullman green after passenger cars got the silver/blue/gold scheme, so it was very possible to see both colors on a train. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

akakrak

Thanks for the help. I'M DIGGING INTO IT NOW.   Ultimately I'd like to Model my passenger train after the Kate Shelley, which at the end of its career was running from Chicago to Clinton Iowa.  Thanks for the info! ;D

ebtbob

akakark,

The replies so far have been more toward the type/style of car.  Let me ask you a question.   How much space do you have for a model railroad?   What will your minimum radius be?  This is going to have a MAJOR impact on the type of cars that may be available to you.   If you are going below 26 in radius,  you will be best served looking at cars no longer than 65 ft unless you can find what you want from Athearn.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

akakrak

Thanks for the information, I am planning at the moment to have nothing under a 28" radius for a turn if I can manage it still planning my layout, and adjusting it as need be.

knotman

If you are thinking of modeling the CNW Kate Shelley, there is a 1971 photo and some commentary on the Kate Shelley in the Model Rairoader's Guide to Passenger Equipment & Operation by Andy Sperandeo, a soft cover book by Model Railroader!

ebtnut

When I was at Navy training in Great Lakes during 1967-68, the CNW ran right through the base.  Most all of the trains were using the bi-level commuter cars, with various F-units for power.  They did have some E-units for the longer-distance trains.  I don't recall seeing any classic standard era passenger cars by that time.  I suspect the last of them went out when the bi-level fleet came in during early '60's.

akakrak

Thank you for the information.  Does anyone have an opinion about Rapido passenger cars.  Are then any issues with couplers?  I'm presently using Kadee # 5.