News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Exchangeability of On30 sound modules

Started by petervweimer, February 03, 2021, 11:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petervweimer

Hi all,
plan to buy an On30 2-4-4-2 and would like to add sound without complicated installation. The original plug-and-play sound module 44952 is discontinued and nowhere to be found. Can it be replaced by one of the still available modules 44957 and 44959 and will the sound files work with the 2-4-4-2 decoder? Am aware that this will NOT be the authentic articulated sound but that would be ok for me. Will have to know for sure because both items will have to be bought abroad with no economic chance to send them back if not compatible...
Regards
Peter

Ton N

The pcb's are the same, with different sound software installed.
So logically speaking they should be interchangeable.
I bought my 2-4-4-2's and the sound modules in one go, i believe it was from The Favourite Spot on Ebay.
And their big brothers , 2-6-6-2's , have the old 21 pin configuration.

Ton

petervweimer

Hi Ton, thank you for the estimate. Anyone out there with more than an educated guess...?
Regards
Peter

RailMan63

Hi. I agree with Ton. They should interchange,but you have to remember that the module you mentioned is not the one that is configured for your particular model.
It may , or it may not, work.
Perhaps the Bachmann will be kind enough to interject his expert opinion on this thread.
I had the same dilemma with my 3 Bachmann On30 locos.
On the 2 Bachmann 4-6-0's, I opted for after market sound systems (TCS WOW ,and MRC Loco Genie with Heavy Steam Sounds. The MRC Loco Genie is drop drop in.It comes with a remote control, and speaker already installed. There is no soldering required.You can buy it here for a fair price, which is probably less than what you'll pay for that uncertain sound module you are currently considering: https://tonystrains.com/product/mrc-021501-ho-loco-genie-universal-heavy-steam-sound-transmitter-receiver
 ).
The other, an On30 Bachmann 2-6-6-2, already had a DCC system with a 21 pin plug. I bought and installed a TCS WOW 1521 sound decoder in this locomotive.
It was basically drop in,so that was easy.
Don't forget that you'll also need a speaker for your loco.
TCS and Soundtraxx make speakers that will fit your tender perfectly , and both offer high quality sound.
Your tender fits either a 27mm , or  28mm speaker.
You'll have to measure your tenders' speaker enclosure to determine which size fits best.
A Vernier Caliper works well for this.
Good luck!

petervweimer

Hi and thank you for the exhaustive answer. As I live in Germany the costs of ordering a decoder replacement from Tony's will be definitely higher than buying the Bachmann module 44957 here. I saw a post where a guy just mentioned having tested a Whitcomb sound module in a steam loco but cannot find it any more. No one out there in the wide world who has practically tried to exchange the modules???
Regards
Peter

mst3kenc

I'm late on this, so you might already have your solution. I have two of the 2-4-4-2 locos. One has a TCS WOW 21 pin installed, note: the motherboard has to be moved rearward in the tender due to non standard pin arrangement. The TCS board has to be turned around to fit. The other 2-4-4-2 has the 21 pin 0-6-0 Bachmann/Soundtraxx 44959 module installed, the 44947 from the 2-6-0 is the same. It works fine, just plug it in. Next go to  https://soundtraxx.com/reference/factory-installed-decoders/bachmann/  The 2-4-4-2 will be listed, the CV values for it are there. Print out the table for that and for the 2-6-0, you can the compare and see what CV's are to be changed. The 2-4-4-2 already has a speaker installed. Hope this helps.

petervweimer

That is exactly what I did: Just plugged a 44959 into the 2-4-4-2 and it works fine after adjusting some CVs. But thanks for the answer, would have assured me if I hadn't been so bold to try it blindly... ;)