News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1/29 Dash 9 locomotive

Started by Mark Oles, February 03, 2021, 03:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Oles

Dear Bachmann,

It is exciting to see parts of the old Aristocraft 1/29 line being produced under your name!  Thanks for reviving this model. I hope this sparks some more interest in g scale!

Thanks!

the Bach-man

Dear Mark,
So do we!
Let's hope!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Greg Elmassian

I would imagine seeing Dash 9's going for 900 to 1200 dollars on eBay was quite a motivator!

Kader are no fools.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Mark Oles

Hi Greg!

Yeah, I would say so! Used locomotives at that!

paultorrey

Yes, will have to get a couple on order right away.  Glad Bachmann is producing these.  Hopefully will have motor blocks coming as folks I'm sure will snap them up to revive older used equipment.

Would love to see Bachmann get the GP40s resurrected and produced sometime soon.

Thanks.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi all,

the GP-40 would be great, but the one I would really like to see is the SD-45.  I do both steam and diesel  era and would buy 2 -9's and two Sd-45's. My son would buy 2 -9's.  

$300 for a 4bay covered hopper, is another mind blower, considering that I bought my USAT GP-9's for about $180 each, now I can no longer afford the hoppers or the GP-9's anymore!!  Even older Bachmann  sets are going for high prices as well, especially the ones after 2000 when metal wheels became standard on freight cars and the Version 5 chassis also became standard.  Speaking of wheelsets, $32 for 4 axles on the low end Used, and on up to $46.  

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Greg Elmassian

The SD-45 was pretty much the best diesel Aristo made.

Not so large that it could not handle 8 foot diameter curves (try coupling a Dash 9 to a freight car and see it throw the car off the rails on an 8 foot curve)

Common loco with lots of appeal, very good puller, room for the extra weights in the fuel tank.

But often the "glamor" is in the biggest locos. I've seen novices buy Dash 9, SD70, and large steam locos before they built their layout and then found their curves were too small for their locos.

Greg

Mark Oles

I really like the E8.  I found an almost brand new UP version in a shop on consignment on Black Friday about 4 years back (Ok, the wheels didn't have any scuff on them at all and when we test ran it, I had to switch it from battery power to track).  Even though I don't do UP, I bought it.  We ran it for about a year here and it was really awesome.  But, an opportunity to purchase a GG1 came up, and a friend in LA really wanted it, so we made a deal.  The seller of the GG1 told me he'd sell me a PRR E8, so that became part of the GG1 deal!!

I have an SD-45 and like it too.  I was able to get one of the Pan Am versions from the final run. 

The biggest win will be the gearboxes and parts (hopefully Bachmann is able to order those at the same time. Perhaps 25% more than will be needed for the run of Dash 9s and then sold through the webstore or dealers.  I would imagine that after 10 years on no available parts, there will be market demand.  Curious to know how well the FA/RS-3/U25B motorblock sold.

Greg Elmassian

I like the E8 also!

But, again, too long for most layouts, therefore not the best choice for Bachmann to make money in my opinion.

Loco Bill Canelos

The E8's were real beauties. My son had the full consist of the California Zephyr and all three sets of power CB&Q, DRGW and WP. 

Here is a short video starting with the E8's and power changes as the CZ heads west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTlg_HMmZWA&list=FLidEyiTc-oAEaOTRlxPTr_Q&index=8

Not the greatest resolution, but we had a lot of fun with it.

Bill

Mark Oles

Bill, 
Great videos!! Does he still operate that railroad?

Greg, that is a great lashup!! 

I think the big engines are the ones that captured a lot of the attention in the early 2000s and brought in a lot of modelers. Will this release start the second wave of large scale? I am not sure but I am hopeful. 

There have been polls and polls on facebook groups that show the desire for this locomotive is blowing all other locomotives away at the moment.  Prices reflect this, too, as you noted above. Is it too big? too modern? That doesn't seem to be a problem when looking at those polls. (It is worth noting that it seems most of the respondents are also working with 20 year old data vis a vis pricing.)

For those of us who have been in large scale trains forever, we know full well the requirements of the big engines.  On the other hand, Bachmann is also releasing an updated/upgraded Big Hauler. So, in that way they are serving the 4' diameter market with that engine. Obviously, a 1:22.5 narrow gauge steam engine and a 1/29 1990s diesel are in completely different target eras but still, how many people will run their Dash 9 with 40' boxcars? (raises hand).  I have some Amfleet coaches, an Amtrak boxcar, a Reading and Northern AML covered hopper and a 100 ton coal hopper to round out my 'modern' equipment! But I would fully anticipate doubleheading the Dash 9 with my SD-45 to haul freight and sticks to the firepit. 

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately his job took him to a different area, and we had to tear it down.  the tunnel between the rafters made a perfect storage area for long trains.  We are working on a new railroad at his new place, but just got started last summer so there is a long way to go.  His full length CZ was beautiful to behold on that layout.  He even bought a extra dome from USAT and cut the top out of the observation car and bashed it in to get a proper CZ dome observation.  I am still working on my basement layout, track is all in and scenic s going in as well.  I can switch from stream era (all bachmann) and 1955 to 1960 for my diesel era stuff(mostly USAT locos) GP 9, GP30 and Funits, and Aristo PA, U25, and RS3's.  He and I both love long Loco consists, even with my steam locos I run triple headed  or double headed with a pusher.  Trains have kept my son and I close from toddler to adult.  We try to interest young folks, many of whom are mostly diesel freaks!  Maybe they will buy some -9's and keep Bachmann in business.  My son and I had fun with a long diesel consist with a midtrain helper, he would control the head end and I would be controlling the mid train unit.  Somewhere have a video of that, but can't seem to find it. 

Will look forward to seeing your -9 and SD 45 pulling 40 or more cars!

Cheers & beers,

Bill